Aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, Jul 14, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

How often do you aerate and when?

2. kemmer

also is it OK to aerate and not seed or fertilize? I mainly because i dont have a pesticides license

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I live in NJ as well.

For us, aerate either in the Spring or Fall. One aeration a year is usually sufficient unless it is a very high traffic area (then once in the Fall and again the following Spring). You don't need a pesticide license to aerate and seed afterward and it's fine if you just aerate a lawn and do nothing else.

Hope that helps some...

4. kemmer

so you dont need any special license or anything of that sort. just wondering about the legality about it.

5. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

wow, now he has to answer the question twice.

6. kemmer

haha, sry about that, im just excited that i can put stuff down.:blob3:

7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I power raked for a customer in May.

Power rake
    29-3-4 fert
    grass seed

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

as Rod said no license needed for aerating. 1 time per year is usually enough and we prefer doing them all in Sept.

9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Aerating will become more of a % of my business. Right now I do all of mine in the spring as it helps to open up the soil when the moisture is at it's best. As I expand my aeration , I will do more in the fall, but IMO spring is best since fall can be rather dry, which can cause drying out of the root zone. I stopped seeding because I have no control over the care that it gets after putting it down.
    Also i know some dethatch, but aerating opens up the soil without exposing the the entire soil surface. Power raking will cause the soil to dry quicker and elevates the temps which causes the lawn to stress.