1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration Advertising

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Sep 10, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I am somewhat disappointed in the results of my aeration advertising this year. I have put out fliers (the nice full color Ryan fliers I purchased from the company), have a radio ad running 5 times a day, and put out street signs. So far my calls for estimates have been not so great. In talking to current clients that I have been trying to sell to, I hear a lot of "My lawn looks pretty good this year. I don't really think I need that." With all the rain and good weather we've had around here, for a change, most yards are doing pretty good. In years past, even before I offered the service, I've always gotten unsolicited calls for the service out of the blue. Not so much this year. I'm pretty bummed about it, reconsidering my advertising methods (although I'm not sure what else I can do besides TV!). I am wondering if the good conditions are keeping folks from interest in aeration?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't know what the literature looks like that Ryan puts out, but does it inform the benefits on aeration? Possibly even call up the customers and tell them the benefits of the aeration. Sometimes it is better to hear it from you than from a brochure
  3. mtdman

The Ryan flier is really nice, and goes into detail about aeration, with pretty simple terms. I've actually had pretty good luck with my current customers getting them to do aerations, far better than last year. And the personal pitch does work, but like I said I've got more than a few "I don't need that"s. What's bumming me out the most is in getting outside work. Maybe the recession factors in a bit, too. I just think the good weather and stuff this year is dampening the whole 'improve your yard in the fall' momentum.

4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

" Your lawn does look great. I can help keep it that way into next year by doing an aeration for you this fall. It's beneficial for a lawn to do it every 2 or 3 years. It is like advance preventative medicine. And if we do it with the fertilizing, the fertilizer is more effective giving you a better result for your dollar."
  5. mtdman

Yeah, I give 'em that spiel too. I've got a whole list of things to use to sell folks on. Lots of people are still not interested. It's not so much the people I know, it's getting the outside customers I don't already work for. Getting their attention and convincing them of the need for the service.
  6. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

My customers are interested until I hit them w/ the price. You want how much to poke holes in my lawn??? I swear I never met so many cheap a@@es until I got into this business.
  7. mtdman

LOL! The whole thing sounds kinda funny when you put it that way!

:D :D :D
  8. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing I do for my regular customers is send out letters this time of year that include a copy of KSU's publication regarding aeration. It reccomends annual aerations as the most important spect of lawn care outside of mowing.
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

With your regular customers, include it as part of the lawn service. Charge for it ofcourse. Just make routine as part of the service.

We do all ours annualy this time of year. No if's and or but's about it.

Integrate it into your fall seeding procedure
  10. mtdman

I've always wondered how people got away with pushing extra services besides mowing. I am not sure how it would go over with my customers if I were to say "If you'd like me to mow your lawn this year, you also HAVE to have aeration, fall clean up, monthly edging, and 2 other services that will push your monthly bill up by $100." I can imagine it wouldn't go over too well.

And for those that missed the point, I have been unsuccessful in selling aerations to people other than my customer base. I wonder if it is because of the nice weather this year, and the good conditions of the lawns right now vs how bad the lawns have looked the last few years with the drought.