Aeration and Gran Fert

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firelwn, Apr 11, 2006.

1. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

Do you need a special license for aeration and granular fertilization apps in Michigan? Just wondering expanding ops.
  2. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Can't really say in michigan, check with your state dept. of agriculture.

In illinois, you do not need a license for either fertilizer or aeration, but you do need a license to apply weed and feed, grub control, roundup, etc.. because it is a pesticide.

Hope that helps
  3. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

Thanks anyone else?
  4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a straight fert., then you're alright. As soon as you have something that has pesticides in it (even a "weed n feed"), then you have crossed the boundary. There are guys all over in this state that do nothing but cruise around and do inspections. These guys can be your friends (very helpful), or they can be your worst enemy...they have a job to do. Anyway, it is $5000 for each occurence of violating these laws. Also, don't even bother with the "loopholes", because they've heard them, seen them, and dealt with them all. The people that say "The customer bought these products,...I'm just spreading them for them." - to the ones that say "'I'm not being paid to do this....I'm just doing this as a favor".
  6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

How can they prove that you put the weed and feed down??
    You can tell them that you just put the fertilizer down
    How did the 24d get on the lawn??? maybe the customer threw some down
    I bet there are a lot of LC without a ticket to kill weeds out there
  7. wannaquitmydayjob

wannaquitmydayjob LawnSite Member

like the other post, no problem as long as its fertilizer only, pesticides is another story (even if its mixed with the fert). and I've already heard from the guys that thought they'd "get over"... they didn't. Warnings for the new guys: Trailers up to spec's, signage on your veh when pulling a trailer, register your biz in each county, city handbill permits (for passing fliers).
  8. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

Im in michigan and no u don't need a license to put down granual weed and feed, but u can not spray pesticides without a license and for the aeration heck no go make mucho money on aeration and by the way what do u charge for a property that is 100' x 175' just wanting to see how your prices add up to mine im in northern macomb county......
  9. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

I'm not doing it yet, so I really cant say to much about the pricing.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member