1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aeration and mess = complaints

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Barefoot James, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Let's here your stories on doing aeration and getting compliants on the mess it creates?? Anyone have this happen to them. Customers that just don't get it?

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Are we talking torn turf or the plugs left behind on the grass, driveway...?

My Plugr doesn't tear turf but it does leave a boat load of plugs. Never a complaint on the plugs.

What is important is to NOT leave plugs all over the drive way or walkways. I see the big companies do this constantly. :hammerhead:

3. Barefoot James

ANY compliants - guess you don't have any.

I guess folks who have ever had their yard aerated before and when they see all the plugs they think we just destroyed their yard??

Like I know golf courses get tons of complaints for charging full boat after aeration. they should tell you or tell you and give you a discount to play after aeration.

You gotta admit a yard after aeration looks like crap but after a good rain and few mows and when the grass starts growing - they are sooo happy.

Just thought some good stories would come out???

4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Had a lady call me once after I aerated. Her daughter was home while I was aerating and called her mom at work and told her the lawn guy is putting dog turds all over the yard. Wow that was weird one.

5. Barefoot James

This is good now we are going someplace - keep em coming.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

did one once and the lady called that night, asking why she had so many moles in her yard after we did the aeration?? so i go by the next day and she has a big bag of plugs and said she had to pay someone to pick up all the mole turds. so I explained the process and the plugs and took the big bag of plugs and removed them. for 3 weeks every day she called and ask if i had killed the moles, first week i kept telling her that there is no moles, next week i said yes they are dead, 3rd week i just plain played like i did not know who she was. week 4 i called the family services and they came and helped this nice lady find her meds...........

7. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I remember doing this one oriental family's house one time... I still smile when I think about it.:laugh:

Anyways, we aerated their entire lawn (10-12k) and went over 2-3 times in areas. Came back the next day (Saturday morning) to do a couple more in the same neighborhood. This entire family, kids and all, were out on their hands and knees putting the plugs back in the holes!!:hammerhead:

I about died laughing! I had seen people rake them up.... sweep them up.... roll over them with a roller.... but NEVER this!

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

tht is priceless!!!:clapping:

9. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

This makes me wonder. If homeowners are dumb enough to remove the plugs I wonder how much soil would be lost after doing it for years?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I just give all the kids pogo sticks and let them have at it