aeration and over seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Aug 7, 2000.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Most lawn in my area are fescue. Following aeration how much seed should be put down for good results.
    Thanks Jeff
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

the more seed the better! I usually seed thw entire lawn with a handheld spreader than go back and seed heavily the thin areas.
  3. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

tall fescue has a low seed count per pound compared to blue grass. so you need 4-5 times more seed than bluegrass. if your overseeding use 8lbs per thousand feet. need fescue lawns need 12lbs per thousand. a starter fert helps alots 19-19-19 works well at 5lbs per thousand. water and stand back. note that fescues like warm weather so start seeding soon.good luck and good growing
  4. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

Pardon me for putting in my $.02 but triple 19 is good, the grass will grow fast but you will need to cut it every 4 to 5 days(it will be green) and it will not be very stress tolerant seeding at this point of the summer.18-24-12 is a good starter fretilizer. Fescue, be it tall or fine is a cool season grass and it is best to seed in mid to late September(at least in the mid south)The most active growth will be at temps. between 60 and 75 degrees, several days above the 80 degree mark will stress it. Also use a slow release fert. to prevent the risk of burn!Ask you local supplier for what is best for your area. Good luck !

[Edited by SKDCO on 08-09-2000 at 11:18 AM]