Aeration and overseeing?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by meets1, Nov 8, 2013.

1. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I will tell you this about TTTF in hook season regions like Wisconsin sheer I am located. The UW did has been testing TTTF for the past 5 years in at the research farm which is located in Madison, Wi and after 5 years if there is any KBG in the mix if overruns the TTTF. KBG has remarkable recuperative abilities with it rhizomous growing action. I have seen it on the lawns in my area this year. Last years drought and long winter hammered the lawn hard. After this years rains and helpful aeration the lawns looked great later this summer and fall. No seeding was needed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

One reason we have a new Exmark 30" stand-on. Pulled many 4" plugs today & every day.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

This why I killed out my KBG lawn. It turned brown (went dormant or nearly died) every summer. After hearing the 2 top guns at ISU switched to TTTF in their home lawns, I decided to follow suit. Now I have a green lawn spring, summer, and fall. I don't water, but I mow high and only when necessary during summer.

I realize KBG is a very "forgiving" grass, but in June, July, August, September, October .... it can be very "dead-looking", and this is not pleasing to my eyes.

4. FdLLawnMan

Larry, KBG might look dormant for a month at the most, not 4 months. The professor at UW also was a big fan of TTTF but he has come to appreciate the value of KBG in our region. Unlike the central part of the country where a lot of overseeding is done up here we do virtually know reseeding as it is not needed. The KBG heals itself. I too thought of seeding with TTTF this year but after seeing w the lawns now, no way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The reason that TTTF does better in Iowa than Wisco,,, is the climate... The reason KBG does better in Wisco than in Iowa, is the climate...

My guess is that TTTF doesn't give up so quickly in Iowa and get over-run with KBG as it does in Wisco... I remember The Wisconsin Gardener, Shelly Ryan talking about TTTF with the folks in UW-Madison and how even down there that TTTF, just isn't a good turf grass... Up here it isn't even considered... :)

6. FdLLawnMan

You are most likely correct. I just wanted to explain to others that jumping on the TTTF train isn't the correct thing to do everywhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. americanlawn

from midwest

Good points. 3 or 4 years ago the USDA tweaked the hardiness zones. So now (Des Moines, IA) where I'm at is the same hardiness zone as northern Missouri, northern Kansas, southern Nebraska, etc.

Combine this with 3 years in a row with unusually hot/dry summers, turf-type tall fescue has become the norm at the I-80/I-35 corridor.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely,,, good job...
    Another important consideration is soil texture... :)