aeration and seeding estimate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jarroo's lawncare, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

what would you guys charge for aeration and overseeding of a yard about a little over a 1/2 acre. i am just trying to get a figure of what i should be charging. i have to rent the aerator ($50 a day) and the seed is $50 a bag i hope this is enough info to get some kind of price.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$750 should cover it.

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

YEAH, I BET IT WOULD COVER IT.
    I AM JUST STARTING OUT AND THE WAY I AM DOING IT IS TO WORK OUT A SPECIAL. I WILL BE RENTING A AEROTOR FROM MY LOCAL HOME DEPOT AND PLAN TO FIND 1-2 CUSTOMERS IN ADVANCE THAT WILL SIGN UP FOR AN AERATING JOB WITH OVERSEEDING. ON A .25 ACRE LOT, I WAS PLANNING ON CHARGING $99. THAT WAY, IF I ONLY DID ONE YARD, OUT SIDE OF MY TIME, I WOULD BREAK EVEN. IF I DID MORE, IT WOULD BE GRAVY. MY PLAN IS TO SHOW UP ON A SATURDAY MORNING TO HIT THAT FIRST CUSTOMER AND WHILE I AM WORKING THAT YARD, MY WIFE IS GOING TO GO DOOR TO DOOR AND DRUM UP MY NEXT YARD. THAT WAY I CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE JOB AND PRODUCTIVITY. IF SHE SETS UP MORE THAN ONE DAYS WORTH OF WORK, I EVEN THOUGHT OF GETTING SOME HELP FROM A LOCAL TEMP AGENCY FOR ABOUT $10/HR. I FIGURED THAT I COULD KICK OUT CLOSE TO 10-12 YARDS IN A DAY IF IT ALL GOES GREAT. AS FAR AS LARGER YARDS. I WOULD GRAB A MEASUREING WHEEL AND WALK OFF THE SQUARE FEET OF THE YARD TO FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH SEED YOU WILL NEED. THEN TAKE A WALK BEHIND MOWER OR SOMETHING SIMILAR AND WALK OF THE SAME AMOUNT OF SQUARE FEET IN YOUR OWN YARD TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN DO IN SAY 30MINS. IF YOU CAN DO 2000k SQFT IN 30MINS AND THE YARD IS 4000K SQFT. THEN JUST FIGURE OUT ALL YOUR EXPENSES FOR SEED AND LABOR AND DETERMINE A SET RATE PER SQFT FOR THE AERATOR. THAT WAY IT IS EASY TO DETERMINE BASED OFF OF HOW MANY SQFT IN THE YARD. AFTER YOU HAVE YOUR BASE FIGURES. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO QUOTE A YARD IN LESS THAN 15MINS.

4. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I charge 259.00 per 5000 square ft. Aeration is key to a good lawn, and you should be getting paid!! don't forget starter fert. good day

5. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

Can you really get that for half an acre?? I charge $450 an acre, and at my price it is a hard sell....thats great if you can get that...depending on how flat the ground is, I would probably be around $275-325 for half an acre, and then another $125 for seeding....total around $400 for aerating and seeding half an acre. Just as a side not, do not just sell them your price...sell them on the actual benefits of aerating, if you are not sure of all the benefits, do research. Usually when people hear the benefits of it, they are a little less likely to be scared by the price.

Ron

6. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

You get $259 per 5000 sr ft. Hopefully the price goes down the bigger it gets...b/c at that rate you will be doing an acre for around $2300, I think I need to move to NJ if you guys are getting those prices around there. I am jealous.

Ron

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

99 dollars get for real!!

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

99 dollars get for real!!

9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't your time worth something, How about your better halfs time. Line up the customers first then rent the aerator, one job should pay for the rental and whatever seed you use and your labor. We charge from .03(over an acre) up to .07(5000 sqft or less) per sqft and guarantee germination. Do these lawns even need aeration? Why are you seeding in the spring? do you have the proper equipment and calibration skills to spread the seed at the correct rate? do you know why the correct rate matters? Do you have insurance if you ruin a sprinkler system, chip a sidewalk, chip a driveway? Picking up an aerator, aerating and seeding half an acre and trying to sell some more aerating all for free not a good business plan IMHO:confused:

Read up learn more then charge a reasonable rate make money and be happy:)

10. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, Now That I Have A Few Of You Worked Up. Lets Go For The Kill. First Off, Yes I Have The Correct Equipment (pennmulch Comm. Spreader). Second, Fall Seeding Is By Far The Best Time To Seed, But Homeowners Around Here Still Ask For It, And Who Am I To Stand In The Way Of Income Comming In. Third, This Is My Way Of Getting My Foot In The Door With Some New Customers. As I Stated, I Am Just Getting Started And Need The Business. Next, How Is $50aerate/$50seed For A Quarter Of An Acre Not Profitable. A Quarter Of An Acre Only Takes Me An Hour To Aerate And Seed. As I See It, I Am Averaging $50/hour Profit After The First House. Oh, By The Way...operating Under A Llc. Designation And Have 1mil. In Liability On Top Of Enough Common Sense Not To Take A Machine With Steel Spikes Over Heads Or On Concrete. Don't Get Me Wrong. I Deff. Appreciate The Response, That Is What All This Is About, But Don't Take Me For Dumb When You Don't Know. A Bs Degree In Marketing Tells Me That You Will Reach More Customers Faster By Face To Face Contact Than You Ever Will With A Half Ditched Flyer In The Mailbox Scheme. Also, Keep In Mind Your Geografic Location. I Would Imagine Everything In New Jersey Cost 1.5 Times What It Does Down Here In South Carolina. No Disrespect, But Think Out Side The Box And You Will See My Ideas Are Not All That Far Fetched.