aeration and underground wires

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Aug 13, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

is it possible to hit cable wires underground while aerating? have any of you had problems with this? i have told customers to mark sprinkler heads, but what can you do about underground wires?

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

There really shouldn't be any wire that shallow, but I guess anything is possible. Some homeowners run those electronic dog fences very shallow.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a phone line with a bed edger last year. It wasn't anymore than 3-4 inches. :confused:

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I've "aerated" poorly dug TV cable wires and a poorly dug sprinker line. Prior to aerating I always ask the customer is they have any poorly or shallowly dug wires-and that I am not responsible if I hit one. Then on my invoice I have a box that I check off stating that I spoke to the customer about this and that they are responsible for marking any areas that I should avoid.

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Standard service contracts should all include: "not responsible for damage to underground utilities." If they need to call Miss Dig before you aerate, then that is what they need to do.

6. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I used to be a cable guy and we were always repairing/replacing cable that was swiss cheesed by aerators. They hardly ever bury cable deep enough, but they want to hold the contractor responsible for cutting their cable. I'm not sure if this holds true for aerating, but you're supposed to get locates any time you break the soil surface. I didn't leave the cable company on good terms so I'm sure I'll be hearing from them the first time I poke a bunch of hole in my customer's cable.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Around here it is not unusual to actually see the orange TV cable exposed in parts of lawns. I had to have them out 3 time to re bury mine personally. I think they get paid by the job, speed is king and quality is out the window...

D

8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

possible = yes........ probable = no never had a problem with it hit plenty of phone lines and cable lines in flower beds but never anything in the yard with an aerator

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

A few months ago my aerator damaged a homeowner's underground dog fence.

He understood that I was not liable for the damage, it should have been installed deeper than 2 inches.

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

He MoJob,

Good to see an ex-Cable Dog ! I'm ex-cable as well. Does anyone ever leave on good terms with Cable when you finally leave it for good ????? I spent way too many years sifting through the bull and was glad when I finally broke away. As you know, the drops are never buried deep enough because they pay the drop bury crews peanuts to bury it !The folks(subs) out my way are getting $35 to $40 dollars per drop which........ includes them boring under driveways, sidewalks and lengths up to 350'. They also are building peds to serve 6 homes instead of two homes, which means that the crew now burys the drop thru the right of way, under neighboring driveways ...etc....... all for $35 to the sub. Oh yea, the Cable Corp was asking that it be 12" deep for this cruddy price as well....... but they are only getting 6" inches max with the plows they are using. They are far behind on getting new drops buried in my area. I have an elderly customer that has had a drop running across her yard to her neighbors house for 6 months now. I'm tired of moving it to mow....but calling them gets you no where except on hold forever !

Were you a sub ?