Aeration, buried obstacles

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dnacker, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dnacker

dnacker LawnSite Member

I have a question,

I am doing aeration as a sideline business. I know you have to mark sprinkler heads, underground dog fences. Are there any other buried objects, utilities ect. that I have to watch out for. How close to you come to the house?? I just want to make sure that I don't do any serious damage. I just purchased a Plugr 850.

Thanks for the help

Dave

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Water and gas mains.

3. dnacker

dnacker LawnSite Member

How do you find them in the yard..how far do you have to stay away

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

If a customer's water line is within range of an aerator, he's got much bigger problems than what you could do! Gas and electric are usually deep enough not to worry about, but you should avoid their path, anyway.

The big worries are cable and telephone. Sometimes they are barely beneath the surface. I have seen them in some subdivisions laying on top of the ground waiting for the sod layers to cover them up.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Dave

How much did that Plugr850 set ya back?

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

In Missouri if you don't call the State general utility group (i.e. 1-800-dig ???) to mark all lines with paint on the grass. if you hit a line then you are liable if you did not cal them to mark the lines. Call the utility company to see if they have someone you need to call. It is free in Missouri to get the lines marked.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a phone line with my bed edger one time!:dizzy:

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

It's 1-800-DIG-RITE. In urban and suburban areas, that's great. But in rural areas DigRite doesn't do anything about propane lines from the tank to the house, water lines from the well to the house, or electric lines from the pole or riser to the house. They'll mark the phone line all the way to the house, but the rest is up to the contractor (or homeowner doing his own work).

9. dnacker

dnacker LawnSite Member

What about building codes???? I called an excavator and he said that code here is for gas lines to be buried 18" down and electric 30". It's hard to believe that a gas main would be 3" down. No lawn care company has the property marked. Anyways, if you have to stay 18" away on either side of the line, there is a huge area of a customer's lawn that you're missing. Anyone ever hit a gas main or anything that caused major damage??

Thanks for all the imput

Dave

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I hit one of the water meter covers last year. The city sent my customer a "miscelaneous" $250 bill in December after I aearated in September. They fought it and found out the city would provide the first mistake replacement for free since they were hard to see and some were kinda under the grass