aeration customers failing to flag sprinklers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by americanlawn, Oct 7, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We're skipping 2 or 3 jobs everyday (per aeration crew) cuz the customer fails to mark their heads. We call them 7 to 10 days ahead to give them plenty of time. We also have "Iowa One Call" come out and mark utility lines too (which they do right away).

I just don't get it. We notify customers a week (or more) in advance so they can mark their sprinkler heads, but when we get there......no flags/paint/or any other kind of markings. :confused:

Anybody else having a hard time getting their customers off their butt? :confused:

p.s. Would I be wrong to charge these people a trip charge to cover the cost of downtime? (Experienced personel, expensive equipment, trucks, fuel, overhead, etc). Thanks, rscvp

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

who me do what no way man

3. jfoxtrot9

jfoxtrot9 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been giving a 2-3 day notice with no problems at all. Maybe 7-10 days, they think they have plenty of time, then forget? I would suspect that although I agree with you that to send a crew anywhere has enough of a cost to it, charging a service charge would probably lose more customers than straighten anyone out. (??)

Maybe try the shorter notice. Worth a shot, eh?

Good luck!

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

If you want something done right, do it yourself. That's why I mark the sprinklers and charge well for aeration.

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I call my customers the morning of to make sure its done, I can do this on the road before I start heading there.

Also, about half of my customers opt to have me mark their heads for a nominal fee of $25. Two guys with radios, takes about 5 minutes. This is easier if the boxes are located outside, as the customers do not have to be home.

6. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

We call the customer 5-7 days before. If we show up and the heads are not marked advise the customer to call when the heads are marked. We let them know that we will not return until we receive a call. During the aeration or seeding seasons we only do aerations 2 days a week. The customer is advised of the supplemental days and told that there is no guarantee that we will be able to guarantee they will be scheduled if they don't give us a couple of days lead time. We currently have 3 power seeding jobs left to do, 2 of them have not been marked for the past month. Messages were left that after this coming Monday they are SOL.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We mark them . Customers dont want to deal with that.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, but sometimes its easier for them to mark them if their box is inside, then they don't have to be home for a appt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Of course its easier, always easier to have other people do things. Its also one more reason for them to say " screw it, I willnt bother having it aerated this yr , I dont feel like doing the flags"

10. jfoxtrot9

jfoxtrot9 LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that.

It's exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. I encourage my customers to mark their own heads, but have and will do it for them.

And I certainly wouldn't say a customer is SOL if he/she doesn't get it done. Aren't we trying to make money here? Hey Budman(group501), I wished you lived closer I would gladly take those customers off your hands!