Aeration Every Season?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by natuworks, Sep 5, 2006.

1. natuworks

natuworks LawnSite Member

Hi guys!!! We supose aerating every season? Customers ask about that...
    Thanks a lot!:confused:

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The primary function of core aerating is to relieve compaction in the soil. It also allows air deeper in the soil and helps with retaining rainfall.

That being the case; no. Unless it is a heavily traveled area or there are excessive amounts of thatch, core aeration is usually only necessary every two-three years.
    BUT
    1: It doesn't hurt, only helps
    2: When overseeding, it allows more soil contact
    3: Customers think it's always necessary so they pay for it payup

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If they dont mind paying for it, do it 1 or 2 times a year. Some of my customers I have been doing for 2 years now. Some, I overseed in the fall and aerate/fert. in the spring or vice versa. Like said, it can only help the yard and it pays well

4. natuworks

natuworks LawnSite Member

Thank you guys!!!!:waving:

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Do it every fall and make the bigpayup payup !!!!! Plus the best time to do it.

6. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

We have very hard clay around here. I recommend to my customers to aerate spring AND fall but for sure at least once per year, and overseed every fall. Been doing that to my own lawn and it is now very thick and lush. And I never have to water it anymore. (also cut it long during the summer)

7. Rudys Lawncare

Rudys Lawncare LawnSite Member

Is it better to aerate when the soil is damp or dry? Im new to this area of east Tenn. back in Illinois it was all together a differant story on growning grass. I have seen some very nice looking grass here. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Damp/moist, not too wet or too dry. Too dry, no penetration. Too wet, you make a damn mess of the turf.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

exactly, cha-ching I say

10. Rudys Lawncare

Rudys Lawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise Rodfather you have a great week!