aeration fees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 26, 2007.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

with fescue seeding just around the corner here in NC. Just curious what you guys were charging for aeration fees? How much per 1000 sqft? My customers are quite stingy and don't feel the need to pay much for aeration or fert/squirt programs.....can't seem to make them understand.
  2. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

The best thing is to find customers that want a nice yard and do not mind paying for it. If this is your first year do what you have to do, Try to target high end developments and land your first account. then go the extra mile to make it look and wave and smile at the other residents and the business will improve over time. I had 1000 door hangers printed with a slot cut at the bottom for a business card, that got me started.
  3. Topsoilman

Topsoilman LawnSite Member

are you renting a aerator or do you have one? that will greatly effect what you end up within your pocket.
  4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

i will be renting. i can rent one for about $250 a week instead of 1000's to buy one. I only aerate around 2 times a year.

I've been doing this for about 5 years and i have told my customers that aeration is based on the size of the yard. If they don't ask how much I would hate to charge them way too much and have to deal with that controversy. I like to keep the friendly relationship I have with them.
  5. Topsoilman

Topsoilman LawnSite Member

how many of your lawns can you do in that week?
  6. grassmasterswilson

from nc

i will be aerating, spreading lime, seeding, and most likely cutting the grass way back. I am a solo with about 15 or so fescue lawns. last year i figured i needed the aerator around 3 days but for $20 more i could have it for the whole week. so i rent it for a week cause once a neighbor sees you aerating one you alway pick up a few more that way. I have marked my materials up so I am making good margins on the products. I was thinking around $5 per 1000 sq ft for spreading and aerating.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I get $90 for 1/4 acre plus fert. $5 per 1000ft after that. So far 33 scheduled this year.

Good Luck
  8. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

I charge $75 for 1/4 acre, aeration only. See, fert and lime are extra. You have to look at the min cost for them to do it them self. Around here, 2 people can rent and aerate their own yard and it cost them $62 each, plus the time. They will pay the extra $13 to not have to rent the machine and return it and do the work themself.
  9. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

10 per 1000 square foot for me I will spread seed for free if they buy
  10. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

I get $30 per 1000 sqft for 5000 to 8000 sq ft lawns and around $240 for lawns that are 12,000-15,000 sq ft.