Aeration gone BIG

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by willretire@40, Jul 29, 2009.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I was thinking today about doing aerations big time this year. I would like to get whole lot of aerating and seeding jobs this year between Sept 1st and Nov. 1st. I am think about having a company pass out alot of flyers for me starting Aug 15th stating the price for the job. I would make it like $75 for lot sizes upto 12k Sq ft for aeration only and addtional for larger lots upto 20k sq ft and also extra for seeding.

I would have 2 guys in a truck with a 6x10 trailer equipped with 2 plugr 850hd and two spreaders and a blower.

Do you think this would work? Also has anyone aerated 500 yards in 8 weeks?

Population is about 2 million around here.

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Whats up Will? How you been? Do you know where to get seed? I'll let you know if you don't. I'm talkin wholesale not retail. All you need is a contractors license. Its going to cost alot for a company to hand them out.

3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good bu the price seems low, we get $75 for up to 5,000 sq ft all day long and $150 for 10,000 sq ft. I would think in VA you could get even more but I don't know.

4. dKoester

I posted yesterday about getting 200 for aeration and seed for a 5000sf lot scheduled this fall. I got 2 small landscape installs and 16 yards of concrete to layed. Plate is full.

5. willretire@40

from VA

6. dKoester

Turf & garden and Herods Seeds here. Bluetag Certified also. Good to hear from you.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Where I live there are companies that JUST do what you describe - every day. Well, not in the winter. But from spring to early fall that's all they do - aerate a ton of yards every day.

The ones that do this, do it pretty much like you describe. First, they have a team of 1 or 2 guys go around an entire sub-division and paper all the doors with half-page BRIGHT colored flyers - taped to the frame of the garage door. So that way they can't be missed. In big letters at the top it says, "LAWN AERATION TOMORROW!" or "NEIGHBORHOOD LAWN AERATION TOMORROW." Then down below it says a set price Around here it's typically $40 or $45 for up to 3000 sq. ft. (which covers most lawns around this area). And it says on the form if the customer wants the work done - to either call the number on the flyer, or leave the notice on their front door with a name and phone number filled out. Then they just call them to get a CC number or send a bill after the work is done. They'll typically do 20-30 per day because they're doing so many houses all right next to one another. One guy on aerator, another guy flagging sprinkler heads and then blowing off the walkways. Then on to the next house 2 or 3 houses down.

They make pretty decent money doing that. I've often considered opening up another whole division of my company just to do this.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Of course they often get a lot more than an aerating job. Their flyers are designed to upsell the client and if the client is home when they get there, the crew leader's job is to ask about these upsell items too. For instance, a typical flyer will usually have a checklist like this;

_____ Aerate Front Yard Only; $30
    _____ Aerate Front & Back Yard; $45
    _____ De-Thatching (you clean-up thatch); $75
    _____ De-Thatching (We clean-up and haul away thatch); $125
    _____ Overseed Lawn; $25

Stuff like that. So often people will chose more than just the lawn aerating and check the box for de-thatch and/or overseed too.

And if the customer is home when the crew arrives the next day, it's the crew leaders job to check with the homeowner, get a check if possible, and also see if they can upsell them on anything. They will also upsell people on Fertilizer, moss killer, and limestone apps. But in Oregon you can do that stuff without an applicators license but you can't advertise for it. So that's something that's only mentioned in person, not on their flyers.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are funny, how y'all get that kind of money.

If I tried them kind of prices in my neck of the woods I don't even get to the upsell part,
    although I will admit that if I ever did I would be so glad I wouldn't even TRY to upsell.

What do y'all do, throw lofty figures out there hoping someone will fall flat on their face and give it away?
    Then again I don't suppose that's too bad a tactic, considering...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  10. willretire@40

from VA