1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration Hazard Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KrisD, Mar 27, 2001.

1. KrisD

KrisD LawnSite Member

I just bid on my first aeration job. I know I need to mark sprinkler heads that are above ground but what about pop up heads? Also the yard has some in ground lighting. Do I need to try to avoid the wires or would they be to deep. The aerator goes about 3" deep. Thanks for your help.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Have the CUSTOMER mark the heads not you, if any are missed it's THEIR fault not yours! Avoid the light areas if the customer installed it themself, more than likely they placed the line shallow.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I dont get to do many yds with a system in but kirbys on it.
    If it was me I might show homeowner your equip. and let him know the possibilities.
  4. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Have in a contract or written agreement that you are not responsible for non-obvious items like shallow sprinkler lines, shallow wire from “invisible dog fence” maybe.
    Also find the valve boxes for sprinkler valves if they are out in the lawn and when you turn the sprinkler system on to do flagging notice anything that is not working properly and tell the customer to cover your you know what or you might hear “well it was working before you did it” and its not a good thing to hear at the end of busting your hump for some dead presidents$$$.

Hope this helped a little?

Mo,mo,mo, yo self quickly to de bank!
  5. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I agree with KirbysLawn, get the customer to do the flagging, unless you charge extra for your time (and even then I would probably still get the customer to do it)

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I did the same thing last year and had the customer mark the invisible dog fence. They can do it with the dog collar or an am radio. The dog fence is really buried shallow so be careful with these.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Go to Lesco and buy a pack of 100 flags, something like $6. Then drop some off a the customers house and let them mark everything. You pick up the flags when your done.