aeration help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenerpastures, Nov 10, 2005.

1. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

It appears I am reluctantly going into the aeration business. I have been solely spray/fert/consult. Most of my clients are large acreage and sport fields. I find that those few clients who do have aeration equipment, simply do not use it or know how to. Or they may choose to run a crude spiker which does little, if any, to improve the situation. To get the job done right, I guess I am going to purchase an aerator.

Factors:
    1) capacity capable of sport fields
    2) I do run z-sprays and am considering the z-aerator
    3) I do like the "function" of cam-driven models, but not sure if their function justifies their price and complexity.
    4) clay soils, hybrid bermuda

Advice welcome.

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

For the situation you imply, athletic fields & large acreage, you should be thinking about a compact tractor before anything else. 20-25 hp should do what you need.

3. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Really. Id go straight to a tractor with a commercial tow behind like a ryan.

4. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I put my tractor with a 3 pt. hitch aerator anywhere I can fit it.

5. lawn king

For the footage you are talking one round of aeration will more than pay for a nice 3 point unit. For the tractor, let me put it this way, in six seasons we did so well on tractor services we wer'e able to jump from a kubota B7500 to a kubota B3030 w/ factory cab,AC,CD, and all the bells & whistles. Integrating tractor service into our existing lawn care business is by far the best business decision i have ever made.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In addition, many suggest aerating Bermuda sports fields once per month during the growing season.

You could most likely use this equipment more than you think.

7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

z plugger.....

8. lawn king

When all the spreaders,sprayers and aerators are in winter hibernation the kubota is out snowblowing,plowing & loading snow, Don't buy a tractor without a cab!

9. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Okay---
    good points on tractors, but we don't have the winter weather here in the south and not really looking for more sidelines ---- just a good quality aerator.

3pt aerators:

cam driven versus traditional? I am dealing with tight clay soils.

Also with the known quality of the zspray, I have to consider a z plugger--plus it can be outfitted to spray/fert as well. It supposedly has 2 ac/hr capacity.

10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

A 3 point tow behind isnt driven. It rolls behind the unit but its heavy as hell, and generally offers a larger tine for larger plugs. You can also add weight if needed but Ive never had too, and if you have as much clay soil as you say then you should already have been hip to aerification.

You cant aerate heavy clay soil too much, or too often.