Aeration: How many can be done in a Day?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ant_Knee, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Ant_Knee

Ant_Knee LawnSite Member

For aeration purposes the lawns we currently service are less than 12000 sf gross and most are 6000 or less net grass. Our 2 man mowing crews can service 25-30 lawns a day (to give you an idea of our schedule or daily route).

We do not currently provide aeration as a service yet and I was wondering how many could be done in a day taking into consideration our current lawn maintenance routes etc. Most likely 100% of our lawns have sprinkler systems but our crews would hopefully know where the sprinkler heads are located.

Thanks!

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on the size of the machine, but most smaller rental types can do about 22K an hour. Of course this doesnt count all the turning, loading, and driving. Realistically you can expect to get 2 done an hour. Now the sprinklers are another story. You may know where a head is, but you probably dont know how deep the line is. Also include dog fencing, utilities, and lighting. All of which I have seen within 2" of the surface. Odds of hitting one may be small, but a hit head could result in you not getting paid and a bill for the repair. Good luck.

3. Ant_Knee

Ant_Knee LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. How many passes show be done while aerating? Suggestions? Best Practices?

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Between 1 and 50 depending on the equipment and operator, distance in travel, and access to grounds. Hope that helps???

5. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

How fast can you run?:walking:

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

lol, vague but true. Ive seen guys take 2hrs for one small yard say 1/4 acre size.

I do 3 acre areas in under an hour with the Landpride 60" core plug on the back of the tractor so it really depends on what equipment your using. Those tiny 20" 5hp honda ones suck for anything larger than 1/4 acre lots.

7. IanHanlon

IanHanlon LawnSite Member

I'd follow the advice regarding the depth settins on the tines as you could get leaks every where. I'd probably be inclined to use hollow tines as well, they're blunter and in my opinion do a far better job. 1 Pass is all you should need.
    www.ideallawns.biz

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

On lots ranging from 3000 - 30000 I have averaged 10,000 - 20,000 per hour with a bluebird walk behind. Obviously the small lots are at the low end and the large lots are more efficient with less turning and less rotator cuff problems!!!!!!!! A perfect rectangle would be on the high end, and lots of little broken up areas would be on the low end, and the most efficient would be a straight line 1 mile long, if only they were all designed like that!!!

9. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I have wondered if people call for utilities to be marked for aeration? I have only seen cable up that high but sometimes it is just under the sod. As for dog lines, irrigation lines, heads and valve boxes, those are the customers responsibility as I may have no idea where everything is. If it isnt marked and I hit it, not my responsibility, if it is marked and I still hit it, then I will repair myself. As for doggies lines etc that is also their responsibility if they can even find it!

10. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

My Crew is two men - If we can stay in one neighborhood we can get 15 + in one day with walk behind machines.
    Three questions I ask is 1)Sprinkler System 2) Dog Fence 3) Shallow cables the client placed themselves like sat systems, cable or lighting. If they say yes to any, I drop off flags and ask them to mark them. I always let them know that if I hit any other type of lines my family will be rich from the settlement, because they should be deeper than the aerator can go. I let them know that I am not liable if they mark them.