Aeration in Raleigh NC w/ Drought, Water Restrictions, etc

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by caseyc, Oct 16, 2007.

1. caseyc

caseyc LawnSite Member

My neighbors are all going in together to get a discounted bulk rate on lawn aeration this weekend. I'm wondering if this will do more harm than good?

We're in Wake Forest, NC but using Raleigh water and we've been limited to one day a week for watering. BUT next week ALL watering (irrigation, hose end sprinkler, everything) is banned and we aren't supposed to get rain any time soon.

To aerate or not to aerate, that is the question...

Thanks in advance!

Casey Corcoran

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i would not waste my time. we are in the same situation here

3. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I heard aerating in dry conditions like we are experiencing can further dry out the turf...does more damage than good. Plus, with it being this dry, penetration into the soil of the aerator tines may not be as deep as you would like. I had plans to aerate and re-seed my yard this fall but this damn drought forced me to abandon those plans. The sun has nearly baked everything out here.

4. caseyc

caseyc LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, I'm going to pass as well.

Cheers,
    Casey Corcoran

5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Call around to some companies and see if anyone has an aeravator. These work very well on dry soil. It will cost you more money, but you will at least get some seed in the ground. As dry as its been, I don't think the soil could dry out much more than it already is.