1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration in spring / fall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Apr 4, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are your guys suggestion on aeration in spring in about a few weeks?

I have this customer that wants aeration done in about 2-3 weeks..

I read somewhere that if you aerate in the spring when grass is growing, you are encouraging weed growth?

I was going to do a core aeration and throw down grass seed for her. Her lawn is not very healthy at all, lots of thin spots, dirt, bare patches.

She doesn't maintain her lawn and just got us to take care of it recently about a month ago.

or do you guys think just applying grass seed and fertilizer right now would be the better solution?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

actually, aeration rarely causes weed growth or interfers with pre-emgerence applications.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My preferance is to overseed in the fall. It actually comes out better than the spring.
    This said I am not saying to not over seed. If it is like you say all the seed she is willing to pay for will make it look, most likely, better than before. If she is willing to pay the price for both spring and fall with overseeding go for it. Ya I know you allready knew that you would do both.
  4. alpine692003

How could you say that tiedeman?

So you're saying its okay for me to aerate right now and overseed?
  5. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

Tiedeman is correct. Aerating doesn't have a significant effect on the pre-emergent barrier. But the pre-emergent will cause your seed to not germinate. So you can aerate but don't seed.
  6. alpine692003

so you're saying its okay for me to aerate right now, but to wait on the overseeding until fall?

my current customer's lawn has bare spots, thin grass spots, needs more grass seeds and fertilizer..
  7. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

they have pre-em w/crab grass control that you can use with new seed. i just did my friends lawn, its a combo fert w/ halt.