Aeration is it to late?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy call the other day for aeration. I live in the midwest and was wondering if it was to late to perform this service? Thanks

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If he's calling, go collect the money. Its not the best time for it, but it will be ok if he intends to put a winterizer down.

3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the ground is not frozen. It will take a little longer for the plugs to disapear though.

4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

My understanding is that it is okay to aerate right up until the first frost.

-TGC

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

When doing an aeration in december, wouldn`t it hurt the grass,because the root system would be exposed to freezing temps before it has had a chance to come back from the aeration?

6. Hello Everybody:

I've talked to the County Agent about this several times & he says it's ok to aerate any time of the year except during frost. I think that would only be common sense not during the frost.

If you have a County Agent, they are very helpful & can help you quite a bit in most cases. I used mine a lot & got a lot of very good advice! They have a great deal of know how, experience & all kinds of resources to help you & your company be successful! BTW that's their job!

Sorry for the Short Post, I'll try to do better next time!