Aeration Now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. mrkosar

    mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Posts: 664

    Is there anything wrong with aerating cool season lawns right now before the first application of dimension? I have always read that you should do it during the growing seasons spring/fall here, but the lawns are still dormant where i am. the roots are not growing right now, but if the soil is thawed enough to pull plugs the aeration will still help once the lawn starts growing again in a couple weeks right?

    still helping relieve compaction and eventually the roots will grow toward the opening correct?

    what about i have seen lawns with holes in them still from a late fall aeration? that can't be good or does it matter that much?
  2. indyturf

    indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Posts: 1,873

    aeration is OK in the spring, just make sure the ground is not too wet.
  3. MStine315

    MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 789

    I'd wait for a little while, but that's my personal opinion. You have time before you have to get Dimension down. Depending on your location in Ohio, I'd say you have 4-6 weeks still. Mark the lawns you want to aerate, and do R1 on those towards the end of your application window. Better still, take the fert. with you, aerate them and fert. and save yourself a return trip. I prefer to do fall aerations, but it has more to do with time management than agronomics. Spring is always to hectic, and in the fall I have more time to do jobs like that. I also do think there's more root growth in fall going into winter, but you can't go wrong aerating anytime as long as you can pull a quality plug. As far as open holes, it's more of a problem on fine turf with no canopy, i.e. greens and fairways, where dessication is more likely to occur. On home lawns, open holes aren't an issue.
  4. mrkosar

    mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Posts: 664

    thanks guys...i'll probably wait another week or so...matters on the weatherman's forecasts.

Share This Page