1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration obstacles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, Aug 20, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

I'm looking into offering aeration. One of my mowing customers said the last guy who aerated broke the dog's invisible fence (something I knew had to be guarded against) but also the cable for their TV.

What obstacles (invisible fence, irrigation systems, cable) do I need to be mindful of, and how do you deal with them?

Thanks for the input.
  2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

For me, it was just the irrigation heads.

I would flag them with mini flags from home depot..

Clear the area out before you aerate :)
  3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It is the customers responsibility to mark all necessary objects.
  4. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

I would not gaurentee that you aren't going to hit the fence. I have aerated a yard for 4 years and hit it twice. They accept that fact and haveit fixed.
  5. wjohanik

wjohanik LawnSite Member

I saw your post and the equipment that you have.
    I also have a 1997 f-150 with low miles. How is the truck lasting and what repairs (expected and not expected) are you running into?

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Sprinkler heads! That is mainly it. Other than dog fences but you have the customer mark where the fence is and skip it. The cable line is the cable companies problem. All public utilities are suppose to be at least 6" deep. if you have an aerator that goes 6" then let me know.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You should take the time to draft up a Pre Aeration form that explains your concern.
    If you are going to mark sprinkler heads then you should include that in the letter along with a cost involved to the customer. You then take responsibility if one gets broken. If the customer is responsible for all underground hazards then that should be in the agreement along with a statement that absolves you of any liability if you should break something.
    The form should be professional and it should be signed by the homeowner and you prior to doing business.
    One other thing to note is that you should be very cautious about property line boundries. Make sure the customer shows you his lot lines and then explain to him that you will be at least a foot to the inside of the lot line. One last thing is to ask if any of the neighbors have an invisible dog fence installed, I learned that one the hard way. Good Luck.