Aeration only?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Jan 12, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys do aeration only and if not would you recommend it. There is a company about 1.5 hours from my house that does this. They say they specialize in it and they offer aeration to golf courses and townships for athletic feilds. Plus they work as sub-conctractors for other lawn care companies.

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Here people only aerate in the spring or the fall, so you would have a short season. We get a a couple hundred done every year, but you couldn't make a living off just that.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You would have to also pick up bottles and cans if thats all you offered in this area.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would sure hate to aerate full time!! a couple weeks a year is plenty....

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking that too. Even with the Plugr aerating is hard, heavy work. A day on the Bluebird will about break your back, especially the hilly lawns.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I know of several very good sized contractors that offer only aeration, floyd mckay drilling and verticutting services to golf courses, athletic fields, colleges, etc.
    Not only do they make good money, their services are always in demand.
    The downside is traveling. They are on the road always.
    The travel is why I stopped building courses for construction companies and although I seriously considered doing this, I just don't like motel rooms anymore.
    In one seven month period, I was in seven different states on eleven jobs.

7. rockymtnmf

rockymtnmf LawnSite Member

Im is South East PA. What is the name of this company? I've never heard of them, and would love to find out. I don't know how they can do ONLY aeration.

Please let me know.

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

some time ago (maybe a 3 years ago?) Lawn & Landscape magazine had a feature article on this company...(forget where but i'm thinking Ohio?) that only did aerations. Had several crews!

9. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

u gotta try the split tine like mine....its nice , real nice

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the company I observed in western PA that offered only aerification, it has been some time ago.
    The last time I dealt with an aerification company, it was three, two based in Georgia and one in South Carolina.
    Remember, the quantity of golf courses that exist in the US, over twenty thousand of them and not all have their own equipment.
    Also, the courses prepping for tournaments as well as the private courses all require the work done in the quickest time possible. Deep drill and fill on greens and tees with a Floyd MacKay machine is extremely slow so most crews run two on the greens and at least one on the tees.
    The companies I have seen aerifing fairways almost all used Cushman Trucksters with the 5th wheel GA 60 aerifier - just a bit bigger than a homeowner would want on their own lawn.
    To find out the names of these companies simply look in the GCSAA or GCBAA
    member index - you'll find out all kinds of services are offered.