Aeration over erosion control mesh???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by imisscanada, Jul 31, 2009.

1. imisscanada

imisscanada LawnSite Member

I have recently installed nylon erosion control mesh on a slope in my backyard. There is no grass, and so I am planning on aerating the soil (core aeration) before overseeding. If I aerate over the slope will it tear the nylon? Or get tangled in the aerator?

My thinking is that I know new grass seeds require an appropriate amount of soil to seed contact- hence the aeration. But I need the grass to prevent the erosion- that's why I put down the nylon mesh. I want grass on the slope. Should I just forego that slope from being aerated? Or should I remove the mesh, aerate, then put the mesh back? Or can I just run the core aerator right over the mesh and it just poke holes in the mesh?

Does this make sense?
  2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

you will more than likely end up with a pluger full of that stupid string.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

New seeds - that need - soil contact... are no different than seeds that needed soil contact a hundred years ago. Nothing special about planting seeds of any kind. Correct depth, moisture, temperature and light they grow.

Aeration is not your optimum seedbed. And yes you will regret running any machine over that nylon netting. Even the mower will pick that stuff up here and there, years after the grass is growing. I would pick it up now and throw it in the trash.
    If your slope is that bad - use straw.

How large is this area?
  4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

The aerator will rip it to pieces, remove it first than aerate and re seed