Aeration/Overseed poor results

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CK82, May 28, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Last Fall I aerated and overseeded many of my customers lawns. This spring two of which, the front yards are showing bare spots and extremely thin. I am wondering if I did more damage than good. At the time of aeration on both I overseeded (broadcast premium seed). However I did not see any results for the most part, but rather the lawn thinned out. I'm wondering what happened here?! Both front yards are now extremely compact, I'm not sure if this is because the lack of grass or what exactly? Im looking to fix this problem, and am not sure where to being. The front yards range from 5k to 10k square feet, with moderate grass growth/thickness. Should I somehow broadcast or spread a topsoil/peat/sand mixture and re-seed and cover? Any suggestions from the experienced would help!!

Thanks, Chris

2. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

If you would have used a true power seeder you would have gained 10x the germination than using an aerator.

3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe it warrants a soil test on these properties
    are there any relavant enviromental conditions
    that could be effecting things?
    also, did you have alot of winter damage in your
    area-that might have hurt the new grass

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

try gypsum.works like chicken soup and its cheap.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

how was your timing for your renovation? How many times did you go over the property? Did you use starter fert? Did you inform the clients about watering during the first two weeks? Did you follow up with fert to help the new grass develop over winter?
    All of these questions should help point you in the right direction and if all else fails, take a soil test and go from there. Also, have you been taking care of the fert on these properties this year?

6. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

try gypsum.works like chicken soup and its cheap.

Where can you find this product?

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I have tried chicken soup for colds and such for a long time. Never worked once. Shot of Brandy may have worked , but I never did just one shot.

As dcgreens indicated. There are a lot of questions in regards to whats happening here. My guess is that overwatering is the big problem if you have a heavier loam soil. But there is no way for me to know that - because there is 2 much info missing.

8. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

There was no starter fertilizer applied, I believe the customer was using Milogranite on the lawn prior. We had a tough winter with a lot of snow (which I thought inslulates?) The lawn is very very compact in the front, most of my aerations have loosened up the soil. We had adequate rainfall at the time, other than that the customer did not water. I know that is bad for obtaining good results! I just dont understand how the lawn got so thin and even had bare spots showing. Two years ago the lawn was lush and green. The lawn was aerated once (usually once per season) and it was in late September I believe or October. Would you recommend adding a soil mixture and re-seeding? I do think I should have a sample of soil tested first.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The drought last year had a lasting effect on KBG I think. My unirrigated lawns seemed ok once the fall rains started, however I am noticing this spring that in many places only the fescues survived the winter.

Young seedlings have their own issues and normal dormancy is strained in no frost winters. Usually best to toss extra seed onto the ground in the spring immediately after cleanup.

Compaction is to be expected with all the snow melt seeping into the ground over a period of several weeks. [It is like running irrigation daily] The freezing/thawing cycle of spring is what does the spring areation.

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

CK... Looks like the problem was no water...that seed has to stay moist for the first 2 weeks...starter would have gave the seeds a boost...but the water Is the most important thing In seeding. Now I bet Its thinning out because the aerator chopped up the old grass and the new seed just sat there for the birds...If you had a picture and size of the lawn It would help...but I'm thinking It would be best to retry this In the fall...reseed and keep It moist...If the yards are not too big maybe rake the seed In with a top dressing...Its happened to us all...no water no grass...best of luck...try and get a pic. or 2

Daner