1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration/Overseed Timing in Northeast

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HydroRI, Aug 13, 2006.

1. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I am about to start my Late summer applications starting this week. I will be using a 30-3-9 50% slow, 2% Iron. When is the best time to start aeration's and over seeding? I know I have never started until after labor day and have always been done before October 15th. I have always done all my applications 6-8 weeks apart. I know it is beneficial to aerate then fertilize and if I am overseeding I would use a higher phosphorus fertilizer. So my question is how do you time the late summer application with the fall/winterizer application and incorporate aeration and overseeding? Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think that a 3-1-2 ratio is best for a fall/winterizer application for an existing lawn.
  2. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have always done my fall overseedings the first week of September. This way I get a good 6 to 8 weeks of growing season left. I apply starter fert at time of seeding and then again 6 weeks later. This has always seemed to give the root system a good boost for the winter. I believe that preparing the root system for winter survival is key to a healthy lawn.
  3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I sure won't be aerating and overseeding the first week of Sept. It is dry and rock hard on every lawn. No rain in the forcast for the next ten days either.