Aeration, Power raking annually?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Nov 8, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys out there aerate / power rake annually? I aerate annually in the FALL, but I was wondering if you can do both?

ie) Power rake in the spring and then aerate in the fall and do this annually, follow with grass seed and fertilizer?

OR do you guys just do aeration or power rake individually all together?

;) ;)

2. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I do aeration in the fall and spring, I don't power rake there is not much of a market for that service out here. You are in BC Canada and im 1 mile from BC (Baja California) Mexico!

3. alpine692003

Well, there is a market for power rake over here!

I just finished with all my aerations last week, I wont be doing anymore until early spring..

But I just wanted to see if you guys out there;

Power rake in spring, aerate in fall annually?

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Aerating twice a year is the best, but getting people to pay for it once a year is a task. As for dethatching; I don't recommend that unless you have over 1/2" of thatch. Keep in mind that thatch is an accumulation of dead or or dying matted grass and roots. When you dethatch you're not only removing dead grass, but also living root systems.

5. alpine692003

Thanks TIMBO!

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Dependent upon the type of turf and it's intended use coupled with the management program dictates my aeration and vertical mowing schedule. Typically I am aerating at least three times per year and v/m at least twice.
    In your climate, certain turf species and cultivars are more thatch producing than others. I would ascertain what the turf type and if possible the species is to help you better institute a sound management program rather than use generalities.

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

we DE-thatch here twice a season. march/september. would like to start aerating though.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have dethatched in spring and the fall. Either is fine. Not during the warmer months though, it's too much stress. Yearly dethatching I don't recommend. Dethatching is supposed to remove the accumulation of dead grass and thatch. Having some level of thatch is favorable to the lawn, keeps in moisture, etc. Doing it every year isn't necessary. I have been trying to promote aeration as a way of controlling thatch unless the lawn is in real bad shape. Dethatching is very invasive and can leave the lawn looking pretty bad, requiring seeding, etc to get it back to shape. Aerating is not so invasive. And I aerate in spring and fall, try to get people to do both but often they don't want to.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As far as the "power raking", many people just liked their lawns raked in the spring to give them a light cleanup. Power raking is a bit too extreme for this, I believe. I'll tell you what people love and is a great seller, is a rakeover of their entire lawn in the spring that is light. Invest in a JRCO rake and make the bucks. This is a great revenue maker, because you can do an entire lawn in a matter of minutes without the damage and unnecessary tearing out of good rhyzomes that is done with power raking. The problem with doing power raking in the spring, is that you are tearing out way more good plants than you would be in the fall, because they don't yet have a good hold. Much of what you are tearing out is actually live healthy plants even though much of them can still be brown with dormancy. The JRCO rake is a happy medium.

10. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I have a JRCO rake and it is a great time saver, works great to get pine needles out too.