Aeration pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dnacker, Sep 24, 2005.

1. dnacker

dnacker LawnSite Member

I just started doing aeration this year. I asked about pricing and was told that the going rate for my area was approx. 12 to 15 dollars per 1000 sq ft.
    There are some customers that I do quotes for that have larger lawns, for example one person had 17,000 sq ft of lawn, for which I quoted $150. The person told me that some company did it before for a price of $82 and that my quote was way too high. I asked if she was satisfied with the job that the company did and she replied, "all I know is that when they're done I have all the cores laying all over the yard". I'm not sure how some companies do their pricing. I had some estimates for my yard (approx 7,000 sq ft) and got a wide array of quotes, anywhere from $70 to well over $200. How do I justify my rate, which is lower than the competition, but not as low as the really low ball companies.

Thanks for the help

Dave

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Your rate of 12 to 15 per 1000k is well within a reasonable charge.
    You dont need to "justify" your charge to that lady. She sounds like a pita anyway. I dont dicker on aeration fees. If they want a lower price they can go look for it. Aeration is hard on the operator and the machine and we need to be compensated accordingly

3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I usually ask them why they didnt call the other company back for this year. Usually they will give themselves away when confronted directly like this. Such as: He wont call me back, his # is no longer in service, he's not in business anymore, etc... etc...

I had one lady call me for snow plowing already this year, I gave her a price of $35 per push (2-5"). She says Whoa, the other guy last year did it for $15. She thought she could honestly find a cheaper price. Sometimes you just cant win.

Kevin