Aeration pricing??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by carguyrob, Feb 25, 2010.

1. carguyrob

carguyrob LawnSite Member

Hi guys. I have been in the business for about 10 years now and am thinking about expanding into aeration. How much do you guys usually charge? Do you do it by the square foot? I'm just trying to figure out how many I'd have to do to break even on a descent machine. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! Rob

2. lone wolf

lone wolf LawnSite Member

Example, I may charge $35 for a cut for a lawn, I"ll charge up 3 times that. I will get $100 for a yard that I mow for $35. This is for my JRCO aerator that hooks up the the ZTR.

If I need to use the plug, or walkbehind aerator, I need to get at least $150

3. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

Do you need to mow the lawn before aerating or does it matter?

4. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

Pricing may also depend on what the going rate in your area is. I'm having the same dilema and thinking about calling a couple people to see what they charge. I'm going to just rent a machine this year and see how it goes before I haul off and spend the money on one.

5. carguyrob

Do you have a pic of the one you tow with the ztr? how well does it work compared to the usual walk behind machines? Thanks for the info!

6. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Those aerators are pretty light and really won't get good cores in many cases. Unfortunately, the best aeration is from either machines that works your arss off or expensive equipment you can stand on or ride.

We charge 3.5 times the mowing rate for core aeration and time it to get worthy cores. Don't be like TGRN. They do it when the ground is hard as concrete with no benefits.

7. J-Man

J-Man LawnSite Member

We use the walk behind core aerators, but then yards in my area are smaller. Mowing price X 3. Avg price is $85. One guy can do around 8-10 per day

8. carguyrob

Thanks for the help guys! The pricing sounds pretty good, my buddy here does them for $45, but I thought that sounded waaaaaaaay cheap. Sorry for all the questions, but what do you guys think a good used walk behind machine would cost? Thanks!

9. lone wolf

lone wolf LawnSite Member

I have a Ryan. Which is right up as quality goes. I paid $500 at a rental place. I think new they are a couple grand. You should look at buying a used rental unit. They take care of them, because they need it to make money.

10. carguyrob

good deal, do the rental places sell newer ones or would they be pretty old for that $500 price tag? thanks for the help!