Aeration Process

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdwilliams1, Sep 5, 2001.

1. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

two real quick questions.

do you normally cut the grass alittle shorter before aeration?

do you have wait a week after seeding to start cutting again?

how do most of you do it?

One example: cut short on Friday, then aerate and seed. skip cutting the next firday and then pick up again the following week. how short do you cut if you do cut it short?

thank you
    Williams Outdoors
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I think you've got it about right.

I don't think you need shorter grass to aerate, but you want shorter grass for overseeding. You need the light and heat for germination. Seed will not germinate well under a turf canopy.

Also, mowing soon after overseeding could result in seed pick-up. Those seeds are light and should be given an opportunity to root before mowing.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

My question... Is two weeks really enough time between mowings after seeding? Would 3 be better? I know that's a long time between mows but...
  4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Water in well and water daily for 14 days then cut. If you don't you back to the long grass that existed previously.
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Often times I mow a week after, am I doing something wrong? Does it depend on grass type?
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that if the weather is nice, there is good rainfall, the other grass starts to grow quick. If you didn`t cut it, wouldn`t this choke out the new seed growth??
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I Only maintain 50 accounts. What i do is mow all of the accounts thursday and friday then spend the whole weekend aerating so that the grass is still short. I always cut after a week....In september grass is ussually growing rampid...I have no choice and still see new grass sprouting out of every hole!

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

What' s the window for aeration ??? When is the latest you could be doing it ??
  9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Being that turf roots continue to grow even after the shoots are dormant, aeration would benefit a lawn for about a month after mowing season is over.

Many of the real benefits are realized when you can fertilize afterword, so I would do the aeration prior to the last fall application.

Our are all completed prior to leaf clean-up season.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Kent Lawns....:blob3: