1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration question (Centipede lawn in NC).

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by toadcrack, Mar 21, 2007.

1. toadcrack

toadcrack LawnSite Member

All -

I'm in southeastern NC. My lawn is centipede; the front was sodded in 2004 the back was seeded in 2004 (with a contractor's mix) and overseeded (with centipede) in 2005.

The front (sodded) has come on great but there are a few places, particularly where water stands in heavy rain, that seem to be thatched.

The back has come on well too but, considering it was seeded less than 2-years ago, I still have some bare spots (particularly in water run-off areas in which the ground has hardened).

Typically I put out Scotts Halts (pre-emerge) in the early spring then fertilize with tobacco fertilizer on schedule. Last year my lawn suffered a bit during the summer so, per my local extension service, I applied a 2nd fertilizer along with lime in the late summer.

Anywho, just curious if I should consider aeration this year and, if so, when?

Are there any cons of aeration when its probably not absolutely necessary? I've heard stories that your lawn appears damaged for weeks afterwards and also that it can promote weed growth.

Any input would be appreciated!

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You need to aerate centipede(and all warm season grasses) when they're actively growing.During transition from dormancy to green up,aerating can damage some of the plant,which in turn will allow weeds to grow in that area.But,for the most part,aerating does not promote weed growth,especially with a preemergent down.
    Now,onto to the fertilizer.Centipede does NOT like nitrogen and you can actually damage the lawn by putting down too much.Centipede will tolerate 1lb of nitrogen/per 1000 sq feet.That's for one whole growing season.So,a 50lb bag of 29-0-0 would have 14.5lbs of actual Nitrogen.If you have 14,500 sq feet of lawn,then one bag would be all you'd want to spread for the entire year.
    Centipede is called the "lazy mans" grass for a reason.Slow vertical growth and little to no fertilizer required.
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga