aeration question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mcwlandscaping, Mar 2, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Probably a stupid question but is aeration and dethatching just fall/end of the season services or can/should they be done in spring too? Thanks

mike

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Aeration dosen't hurt to do in the spring and also in the fall. Dethatching is more common to be done in the spring in these parts.:waving:

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I just follow what the high class golf courses do, and they all seem to areate in the fall - early oct. - and the reason they give me is that 1. Nutrients get down better, and 2. the frost - freeze thaw allows the turf to expand and remain uncompacted.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

To go along with my original question, when you do core aerate, do you have to clean up all the plugs you pulled or do you just leave them on the surface of lawn? Reason im asking because one of my mowing clients had her lawn aerated two years back and they left the plugs on the lawn an it left a big of a mess. Thanks

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Never remove the plugs for any reason. Your mower will break them up after a few mowings and the material (top soil) will be absorbed back into the ground.