1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aeration question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Sep 19, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

this is my first time aerating im useing a spiker aerator from a rental shop.the customer i will be doing this job for has irrigation .i know it has been said to put flags down by the sprinkler heads .but is it possiable to damage any sprinkler pipes or anything .
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as all the sprinkler heads are marked you shouldn't have any problems. Most systems have pipes 4-6" below the ground.
    If you do hit a head or pipe they are fairly easy to repair. :) ;) :) ED
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Yes its possible to damage sprinkler lines. We just did a high end res. job, it was a garden job but nonetheless the irrigation was buried 1-2" in spots in fact in some spots it was visible. I talked to the owner he said well that year we had a drought and they just couldnt dig any deeper. I think its a lame excuse for laziness on his emplyees' parts. But the answer is yes, most of them around here are just 1" pvc and very easy to fix and the garden heads are ran with what they call funny line and they are easier yet. I would , as others have recommended on this site have the customer sign something releasing you of any and all responsiblity if you damage anything that wasnt properly installed in the first place. good luck.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're using a spiker aerator, don't bother wasting your time or your customer's money. That could be money better spent on some other service you could do that would actually benefit you and his lawn. Find a core aerator.
  5. ronslawncare

i know core aeration is better but thats all this rental shop has plus the customer wants aeration .so why is it a waste it still relieves the compaction of the soil which is what it is intented to do .but definately a core aerator would be better if i can find one .
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think the spike aerator adds compaction because it is making a hole with a spike and making the soil around it even more compact when it forces the spike into the ground. Sure there will be a hole there, but immediately around the hole it will be compacted. Just my guessing on this unit. I may be wrong.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

By spiking the soil, actually compacts the soil even more.
  8. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Anything= Valve boxes if placed in the lawn can/will be covered over time by grass/soil most of the time customers don't know about/think because "well they didn't pop up when I turned on the system" well they ain't goin to miss ter couse that ain't what they doos.

A release is a good idea to cover yourself however, some people (customers)get a little gun shy on this part. Do your own stepping and walking before knocking holes.

look around and try to find a core aerator if at all possible, deeper the plug, more air/ water to the roots.

Hope this helped a little.
  9. ronslawncare

ok will a core do any damage to sprinklers i honestly dont know .and thanks now i understand why a core.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Ron. A good core aerator is quite heavy and may damage sprinkler heads and box covers. All you can do is mark the heads and boxes and core aerate the sh#@ out of that man's yard. Most plumbing is deep enough and if it isn't it's not your falt. Hang on to that baby and ride.