Aeration Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The LawnSmith, Mar 15, 2005.

1. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

What are your thoughts on a core or plug aerator versus spike aerator? Are there different reasons to use a spike aerator or core aerator? If not, which is best?

2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

My understanding of the differences are a core aerator helps relive soil compaction as well as allowing air, water and nutrients to get down to the roots. A spike aerator only helps with getting stuff to the roots, not very effective with soil compaction.

3. Precision PLC

Precision PLC LawnSite Member

Speaking of aerators,after you use a plug aerator do you rake the plugs up or do you just leave them?I f you do clean them up what is the best way to do so? "sorry to hijack your thread" :help

4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

why clean up the plugs let them sit there. they will break down. i think ther only way to pick those up is by hand, skrew that

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

spike aerators are a cheap alternative to core aerators, however there is evidence to show that long term use can lead to a parched water table in native soils. Pulling plugs is the best way, as the plugs get broken up they refill the core holes loosely allowing air/gas exchange.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Spike aerators are pretty useless IMO. Leave the plugs too btw.

7. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I have been using a spike aerator for the past two years, and have seen the plug/core aerators, but never really knew if there was much of a difference between them. Just trying to gain some knowledge here.