Aeration Questions...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by HighGrass, Sep 7, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

1.) When does a lawn require aeration, and what are the signs?

2.) What is a better aeration method...spike or plug?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the lawns in my area are growing in heavy clay soils, so an annual aeration helps a lawn develop a stronger root system. The lawns that I aerate twice a year (Spring & Fall) do real well when we have a dry spell. Core aeration is the only way to go, spike aeration can compound compaction problems.

3. plug is the way to go..spike is useless probably hurts more then helps.

Areation is a ongoing process it needs to be done every year.

4. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

I would recommend aerating at least once per season. It is done to reduce the thatch layer in the lawn. To much thatch will provide areas for turf eating insects to hide and harbor disease. Lawns with excessive thatch will feel spongy when you walk on them. Also you will want to go with the plugs as mentioned before....
    good luck as it can be a good money maker

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

as mentioned, "spiking" only compacts the soil even more
    coring is the way to go....nearly every lawn should be cored at least once per year. A green and healthy "looking" lawn does not necessarily mean that the root system is healthy as the first time the turf gets stressed from summer heat or dry conditions, these lawns will show the stress more than those with a healthy root system. This year you will hear allot of customers say "my lawn looks so healthy because of all the rain so do I really need to aerate?"....
    yes for 2 reasons....
    1. rain compacts soil and lord knows we've had allot of that
    2. mowers compact soil...and in most places this summer mowing every 3 to 4 days was not uncommon

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So do most of you guys rent or own aeration machines. I'm probably only going ot aerate our lawns this year, but next year, maybe more.

Thanks again.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I own mine but be careful b4 you buy one. Aeration is not always an easy sell so b4 you take the leap, make sure you have a sense of the revenue you will generate to make sure it makes dollars and sense...renting certain machines is not always a bad thing...inconvenient yes. Aeration machines take more routine maintenance than most of the other machines we use. If I had to do over I would have bought a tow behind model and rented the walk behinds.

8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

How do you go about pricing for aeration?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Rule of thumb is around 10 or 12 bucks per k square footage with a minimum of 50 or 75 dollars.

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We use a Ryan that I bought used at a local rental shop a few years ago.

Pricing- A lot of guys around here charge what they get for there monthly maintenance to cut the grass or you could go by the Sq.ft.