1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aeration subcontracting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnyNCa, May 31, 2003.

1. JohnyNCa

JohnyNCa LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone here is a aeration sub-contractor? See I have properties that i maintain and id like to keep myself busy so i was wondering how about approaching other lco's that dont do lawn aerations and offering your services to them? I Just bought a rocksolid plugr not to long ago and would like to maximize it rather than just letting it sit there. Any advise on how to charge other lco's for being a sub? Thanks
  2. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Would be a great add on for someone not currently providing the services but your going to have to do alot of the leg work to get other LCOs to buy into using you vs. doing it themselves.

The first obstacle will be overcoming the "your gonna try to steal my clients" panic that will set in, particularly if you also cut grass or provide other landscape services. To overcome this obstacle, present them with a non-compete agreement that specifys that you will not solicit their clients for any additional work, with large financial penalties to their benefit if you do.

Secondly, realize that your going to have to earn less then you typically do while performing your services, or else you wont be price competitive. If you currently charge 10 bucks per 1000, then you may have to offer your services to them for 7 or 8 bucks per 1000. A 20 to 30 % markup is typical on subs so you have to make sure your still selling at the market rate, or else it would be cheaper to just use you and cut out the other LCO. (see above)

Lastly, you will have to spell out who is going to be responsible for measuring the properties, scheduling the services, marking out the sprinklers etc as well as your terms for getting paid after the job is done.

All that said, I would have used you last year, because we were so behind due to rain that we lost several thousand in contract aerating revenue had to be refunded to clients. Me earning even 2 or 3 bucks per 1000 would have been farrrr more preferable vs the 5 or 6 i might have earned doing it myself as well as providing the clients the service.