Aeration - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1mowlawn, Aug 22, 2002.

1. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

I would like to add core aeration / overseeding to my services this fall, could you guys offer suggetions on how to start up this service. The basic equipment that I will need. I'm solo and have approx. 15 mowing customer currently, they all are very pleased so far with my services, but all I do now is mow & trims. Most of the Lawn services in my area do not offer any aeration / overseeding or leaf removal, so I'm thinking this would be a good service to start offering (help please) Thanks

Gravely Z250 23p Kaw
    Honda pushmower
    John Deere Trimmer/Brushcutter
    Ryobi - Blower/Vac
    96 - GMC Z71

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you have 15 accounts at this time, line up your work ahead of time, and figure out how much seed and what types you will be needing. Then, since you only have 15 existing accounts at this time, just rent an aerator for the day or two. This is preferabally done on the wekend, for two reasons. First, many rental places offer discounts for the weekends, especially if they are closed Sundays. Some may even let you have that extra day free. The second reason, and probably the biggest reason why weekends are good for this, is that this is when many people are home. People home = exposure. When Mr. Johnson sees Mr. Jones getting his lawn done, there is a much better chance that he will inquire about the service. The main thing is, is know your facts, know all the benefits forward, backward, and inside out so you can explain this to people. When you can give an assured image, and are confident in what you are saying, you can sell this stuff. People eat this stuff up. I didn't see where you were from, before I started writing this, so I can't really tell what kind of season you've had. We've had severe drought conditions, so My selling point would be that due to the drought conditions, the ground is very hard and compact, and would certainly greatly benefit from aeration. On the other hand, if you have had much rain this season, then sell it on a drainage issue. Anyway, good luck with it, and I hope this helps.

3. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Runner thanks for your suggestions, rental is probably the best way to go at this point until I can get more customers. Thanks

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

My local Lowe's rents aerators and slit seeders. A local hardware store also rents aerators, and then there are the true rental equipment dealers. You won't have any problem finding equipment to rent. JD

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I bought a bluebird aerator at auction for $200. Has a 3.5 tecumseh on it i think. Paid it off in three jobs. Look for a used one it might be better than renting for$65 a day.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

****WARNING*****
    ****WARNING*****
    "Man beaten to death by Bluebird Aerator...found dead on 5 th property of the day..arms found ten feet from torso"

Seriously though...be careful what you rent....some of these machines are VERY hard to use(physically) and I'm no weakling.
    I used to rent Bluebirds and dreaded aeration...now I own a Lawnaire and I can almost do it all day...almost...good luck

7. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Runner for sure. Educate them on the value and benefits of aeration. Plus it is something that people can see the results (the plugs laying there). May sound silly, but people really feel better knowing that something you are doing is actually being done as you said it would.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Question about aerators, and slit seeders.

I have seen both items, and I was wondering if you were going to purchase only one which would you buy?

The aerator I saw was in Northern Hydraulics catalogue. Has anyone ever seen these? They are pull behind units that use the wheel to drive the tines. The cost was under $200.00. Think these will do the job?

Jim

9. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

Also make sure people completly understand what they are getting. Before I went out on my own an aeration job got sold by one of the salesmen. We went out and aerated, the customer called and complaned about all the cores on the ground, we tried to explain that they would break down but the customer is always right. My boss made us go out and pick up every core. This was an 11,000 sq ft lawn. Believe me it wasn't fun.
    Dennis

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely what Runner said.
    If you want to try to get more jobs, make flyers to pass out about the ways aeration benifits their lawns, bla-bla-bla. At the end, list other services that you will offer. Try to talk to as many ho's as you can while putting flyers out. I started doing this, and the first day, had passed out about 40. Landed 4 good sized aeration and seeding jobs.
    I hope it keeps going this way.SHOW ME THE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Their new lush lawn that is growing, and the lush green stuff that pays my bills.. :D

:eek: YES, the bluebird will beat the, well you know what out of you. They will wear you out fast.
    Last year I rented a lesco split drive unit and was able to do a lot of aerations and not be as tired as when I did just my lawn with the bluebird.(I rented a bluebird and tried it on my lawn and decided that it would not be what I wanted to use). The split drive is what I will be using this year also...

Jimbo---- Don't sound like a commerecial model to me, or anything that would last and most important, do the job you was expecting it to do.. I might be wrong but would be cautious about spending the 200 clams for something that will end up in the back of your garage collecting a lot of dust. JMO