Aeration survey price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancut, Dec 9, 2000.

1. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

What's everybody charging per 1000sq ft. to aerate a fairly level lawn..???Also what are you charging to spread tall fescue per 1000sq ft..??Thanks..Clean-Cut
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I charge $24 per 1000 sf to aerate/seed fescue/fert. Discounts for larger lawns down to around $17 per 1000 at the lowest.

3. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

We charge $9.99 plus tax per 1000/sq ft. Minium charge is $75 for properties under 3,000 sq. ft.
    We like the Lesco Aeration machines beacause they have the Honda motors. If we are to fert ./seed ect.. then each item is charge accordingly.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a 5 lb bag of tall fescue and it cost me over $9.00. How much can ya'll get it for in the great white north? I couldn't spread much of that at nearly 2 bucks a pound!!!!!!!!!!

gee wizz

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I get my fescue from lesco, about $50 per 50lb bag.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Where did you get those prices?? I get mine at Lesco for $0.94 a pound.
  7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 25per k seed aerate, fert. i get my seed at lesco for 1.10per lb
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

At 3000 sf or less I got min. of $120. Based on larger sf I would charge between $30 and $35 per 1000 sf.

If you guys did a 3000 sf aeration, you should get around $50 considering we all use something like 2.5 to 3.5 times the cost per cutting.

Then on 3000 sf, the seed will cost you around $15.
    The fertilizer around $3.

That $68. If you only got $75 for the job, where is the profit? $7 is not a profit on the seeding. You only made $7 profit for you time of putting out seed and ferterlizer?

If the customer goes to buy the seed himself its going to cost about $2 per lbs. I get mine for $1. If he rents an aerator, they are about $75 for 4 hrs.
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Aerators here cost $11.00 per hour with a 2 hr. minimum to rent. I would dearly love to be able to look at my 5000 sq ft. cutomers and say "$120.00" but come on! There is a point there where you don't want to alienate customers or potential customers. We get 40 for a 5000 sg ft lawn. It takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes to do. Maybe my market is depressed, maybe there are too many guys running around with aerators
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

$40 for 5000 sf?? Over half that is cost of seed and fert. alone. Not to mention gas and depreciation on aerator. 15 minutes? How many people? 1 person will take longer that 15 min. 2 or more people at 15 min. each adds up to 3/4 of an hour. You would only make about $10. You better have another job part time. Most anyone aerating alone would make more than that without any seed. Sounds like you've sold into the theory that you're not worth anything more. You can find customers that will pay more. Leave the cheap skates alone and find some better paying customers. I had people this year that thought I would do all that aerating and supply seed and fert. and do it for almost nothing. I gave them my bids and some I got the jobs and some I didn't. But I made more overall and had less expense. Word of mouth that you are that cheap will get you plenty of business but no profits.