aeration timing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bflower, Aug 20, 2007.

1. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

We are seeing record rainfall in northern ohio. It seems like we are getting spring here several months late, just wondering if anyone is getting ready to pull the trigger on fall aeration with the current soil conditions. i dont want to go too early and have all those weeds germinate, yet i dont want to be raking leaves either in october. also do most prefer to aerate before there last fert/weed visit due the weed germination? thanks crew

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Same here in Pa. If the weather cooperates, get that aerator ready to start making you some money. However, if it gets hot again, wait a bit.

Lets go cool temps.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think I'd wait if you can. I prefer late fall (late October - early December).

That's my opinion only. Good luck, and I hope the weather straigtens out.

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about your area but around here ideal time for seeding is early Sept. through early October. If I wait until October to do all my lawns I will be knee deep in leaves. Aeration, seeeding, and heavy wet leaves, Not a good combo.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We're doing our seeding jobs this week (Kentucky bluegrass). We do the bulk of ouir aerations later in the fall.