1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration tips.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hmartin, Jun 28, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing fert/herbicide and some mowing. Not a lot of people in my area are aerating for some reason. From reading here on Lawnsite it seems that it is very popular elsewhere. I see lots of the aerating guys are from much farther north than me. Is aeration more important on cool season grass? I deal almost completely with bermuda. Most of the soil around here is somewhere between sand and clay. The new subdivisions have very poor soil. Lots of front lawns are made of soil that was 8 foot deep last year. It gets lots of traffic from construction. I am thinking aeration would be something I could sell if I can convince people that they need it. It may be a hard sell since there neighbors are not doing it.

The only aerator that rents near me is a walk behind bluebird or a tow bluebird about 42". Are these good ones to rent? How much better is the Plugr? What are some general guidelines for saying yes this lawn need areation or no it doesn't? Ideas from people that do areation often would be much appreciated.
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I aerate about 20 yards in the spring and again in the fall and have used the rental bluebirds several times and they work good but they will wear you out quick. Just work on selling the service and if you do a good job, the customer will definately be able to tell. Almost all of my yards were looking green and healthly long before their neighbors who did not aerate. There is big money in aeration so just try hard to sell it on your customers. I cant help ya with the soil conditions, I really dont have any expertise there but Im sure some others do
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

There is very good money in it. Why do you want to rent one??? To me that is just a waste of money compared to going and buy one. That way you will have it when you want it. We have a Turfco and love it!!!! JMO