1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aeration w/Seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by menchhofer, Apr 5, 2003.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just wanted to get a few views on aerating and spreading seed on an established lawn. I have used slice seeder before but did not notice positive results. Now I have been told to aerate and then apply seed over entire yard. Is this the best way to fill in an established lawn?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've been doing core aerating and overseeding for the past 9 years or so and get excellent results. Time of the year is important too depending on where you live.
  3. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

if you didn't see it, they didn't water it...................
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Seeding success depends on seed/soil contact in planting process, then on proper irrigation. Same with overseeding.

If you just go cast seed out over an existing lawn, you will get about a 15% germination rate. If you slit seed as an overseeding, you expect around 65% germination, because of the better seed/soil contact. Aeration AND slitseeding will give an even better success rate on germination. Just aeration and overseeding will give less than slitseeding.

All that is moot if irrigation is not properly managed.
  5. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you guys usually charge for aeration and overseeding per 1,000 sq ft? I am going to a clients house Monday to do an estimate. I was thinking around $32.00/1,000 sq ft. It will cost me $55/day to rent the machine. The yard is about 15,000 sq ft. Plus I was thinking of selling him a seed starter fert to help the new seeds. Thanks
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

for best results aerate and then apply a thin layer of topdressing on the lawn.