1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

AERATION WITH GOLF SHOES

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OLD CHAPP, Sep 7, 2000.

1. OLD CHAPP

OLD CHAPP Guest

WE HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH GOLF SHOES WHEN WE CUT.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?????

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

OOOOOOkkkkk???
    Would be alright if you were mowing postage stamps.

Karl

3. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

If you can aerarate with golf shoes, I can aerarate with my sneakers.Sneakers can not aerarate.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

To aerate properly, you need to actually remove a plug of dirt from the soil. This way the soil becomes less compacted and the roots have room to spread. Golf shoes in my opinion just compact the soil. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

5. greenlawncare

greenlawncare LawnSite Member

They sold a product in the seventies that I remember. It was a strap on board the size of a shoe with 1 inch spikes on it. There were two straps you used to attach it to your shoes. They sold it to a bunch of morons until they were taken off the market for false advertising.

Aeration must reduce the overall density of the ground to be useful. What you are doing with golf shoes is decreasing the desity of the area of the hole and increasing the density of the area next to the hole. The net effect is the same overall density. Except that the soil that contains grass is more dense and the soil that contains no grass has practically no density. Besides causing increased density for the plant, you are also going to be tearing roots for no reason.

I'm sure they didn't teach you this one landscaping school.

6. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Dense? I don't know but they still sell those things, i think they are in amleanords catalog.

7. dhicks

dhicks Member

I wear golf shoes, too! It great for the smaller properties.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The new Ryan aerator says Nike on the side.

9. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Not a bad idea. I do a HOA common prop that some idiots believe is a range.

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys & gals,
    How do you think all those GCS's keep their courses looking so beautiful without one aerator in their equipment inventory ;) ?