aeration

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GroundUp, Jan 16, 2006.

1. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Ok... this is gonna sound stupid. But what is aeration? what does it do? is it worth doing? what kind of equipment do i need? and how can i practice before i actually offer it as a service?

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Use the search feature with "aeration" as the key word. Lots of discussion.

3. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

I have used the search feature... actually it has been my bible for the past couple weeks. but im not sure "exactly" what aeration is. I got an idea. but i want to know "exactly" thanks alot :)

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

A plug is pushed into the ground about 2-3" The plug is about an inch round with the core of it open , about 3/4 inch. When the plug is pulled back out of the ground it will pull the soil that is inside the plug with it and remove it from the ground leaving a little hole which will allow air and water down to the roots as well as loosen up the remaining soil.

5. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

hey thanks alot. What is the kind of equipment ill need to do this? That sounds entirely too simple. So i still must not be getting something here....

6. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

You need an aerator. There are many types, just do a search on one of our sponsors sites. They are fairy expencive.

7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

also, you could rent an aertor from a place like Home Depot.