aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I did two aeration jobs today. Both properties were about 6500 sq/ft. I bid them at $95 each and got them both. Plus I bid a third property of a similar size at $95 and the lady thought that was cheap and signed up. Also getting calls for estimates on aeration. <p>Just wondering if I'm too low. Seems too easy.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

WHAT TYPE AERATOR ARE YOU USING? i NEED TO DO A 5800 SQ. FT. YARD THIS WEEK AND WAS GOING TO RENT A PULL BEHIND. WASN'T GOING TO CHARGE THAT MUCH THOUGH!<p>HOMER

3. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

I'm getting $100 to dethatch, mow and collect 5M all in one step. Sounds like you are in the right neighborhood since the time to perform both would be approximately equal. I try to charge 3X what it would cost to mow at minimum. &lt;p&gt;Eventually, I want to offer a dethatching/aeration package with fertilization as an add on. It would be a money maker, for sure. I would venture to guess repeat business would be excellent because of the benefits that can be seen shortly thereafter.<p>John

4. Jason

Homer,<p>I used a Classen walk behind, I believe it was a TA-19, not sure though. I did measure the width of the times and it was 16&quot; not 19&quot;. It's a rental unit. My local hardware store has it. They rent it for $15 an hour. <p>This is my first year in business. Today was the first time I've ever used an aerator. I tell ya what after those small jobs my arms were rubber. Lot's of slopes and hills, and the damn machine being so narrow would tip to one side so only half would pull cores. THink that's why my arms were so sore, fighting the thing, or perhaps I'm a 95lb weakling. :)<p>Up in the air on what to do, I really want to buy either a tow behind or a JRCO aerator for my Lazer, but some of my properties have small gates so I couldn't use it. Or buying a walk behind like a Ryan. I didn't like the Classen, it leaned to the left, which is the side of the drive. I need to demo a Ryan before I make a decision. ALso don't know if I want to lay out the cash for one right now. I'll probably keep on renting for awhile.<p>So you think I'm charging plenty then? Good to know. :) I won't lower my prices than. Thanks

5. Jason

Retro,<p>Glad to hear I'm in the neighborhood on my bids. You mention dethatching and mowing in one pass. I got a call today from a woman who wants both aeration, and powerraking. I told her both wouldn't be necessary. But she said that's what her husband wants. I'm not gonna argue. :) Should make some really good cash on that one, if I have to dethatch than aerate.

6. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

Heck yeah. I don't have an aerator right now, but will by fall. Next spring I may run a flyer special for the dethatch/aeration. It is a nice additon to the pocketbook.<p>John

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

First the Claussen aerator is a very good aerator. Demo the Ryan and Claussen at the same time if possible and decide which one you like. They will both do a very good job. As far as pricing, you should be able to get at least 3 to 4 times what you would for mowing. I have a 26&quot; walk behind Claussen aerator and a Claussen tow behind for my Dixie Chopper. I can aerate a yard in about twice the time it takes me to mow it. But because you have this equipment that you only use in the spring and fall then you have to charge a premium. I stay away from any yards that have a gate that I can't get my walk behind through. I already have 2 aerators, I'm not going to rent another! Aerating is also a great way to build up your fertilizing customer base. This is where the real money in lawncare is. When you start out you want to get your name out there. Aerating is something many people don't want to do themselves so they hopefully will call you. By the way there was a past thread about aerating and I found it quite interesting.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Production aeration = whatever you can get. Proper aeration, Lawnaire IV = $71.50/hr. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

If proper aeration is a LawnAire IV, I've got to go back to lawn care school.

10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you used the CLASSEN turf seeder??/they say it can also become a power rake/ thatcher...?????