Aeration?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shopkeeper, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

Just curious how many of you guys aerate and whether or not you buy your own aerator or just rent it from the rental companies in your town and do your yards that way.

If any of you guys do aeration and have your own aerator what brand do you use and how much did it run you?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

~Shop

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I drag a 52" Lesco behind my Z. It gets the job done well for big properties, however small properties are often a bit tricky for it. I also rent a 19/22" from the rental yards and do a whole bunch in one or two days. Next year I'm hoping to purchase a walk behind unit and replace my 52" with a 3PT 60" LandPride or similar.

Edit, the 52" ran me about $1100 I believe.

3. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

If you don't mind me asking where did you buy your aerator?

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I own mine, and a dethatcher too

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I bought it @ Lesco.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

For the large areas I have the pull behind. Not sure the maker but it is very heavy duty(nothing that you buy at Lowes) and was about $900.00
    Fill water jugs and set in the tray and pull away.
    For the small areas I own a Pluger 800 --In 04 I paid $2400 I think (which broke at the frame this year and need to get re welded) It does not do well on the hills and now they make one that is self propelled. For hills and any really full days i just rented another.
    When starting or even for a med. size company I think the rental route is the way to go. There is the flexibility of schedule when you own but it is not the best investment for the time you use it. Plus you need to store and maintain.

7. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have a 48" tow behind and this is the first year that i offered areation. All but two of my customers got it and plus a few more from a posting at a super market. Found a used walk behind at a golf course i got to check out this week.

8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I rent an aerator. Cost around $3000 CDN which is hard to justify for the 4 - 5 days out of the year that I do aerating. On the other hand, I wouldn't have to schedule them all for the same day. Sometimes have to turn people down because I've finished the aerating and can't rent the machine for only 1 or 2 yards.