Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lawn_Enforcement, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Lawn_Enforcement

Lawn_Enforcement LawnSite Member

A quick question about aerating never really got to educated in it cause alot of people wont pay ..... Aerate then fert/ weed control or vice versa? Or no fert/weed control and just seed after aerate? All info greatly appreciated......

2. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Some people believe if you aerate after you use weed control, the barrier will be broken, I have seen writings of test plots where it is "proven" it has no effect, believe what you will. I dont totaly understand your question, could you post more of your situtation? There are many different ways you can do both, depends on what you are trying to achive.

3. Lawn_Enforcement

lawn cop ..... my question is ....
    What is the proper procedure is it Aerate, then wait "x amount of days" then fert and/or weed control. Or is it vice versa? Im just asking the proper procedure to aerate and weed and feed basically. I have heard not do either within a certain time frame. Also is it better to leave the plugs from the aerator on the ground or to clean them up?

Thanks for all your help

4. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

I prefer to do a spring low mow, turn on the SS for a few days then aerate then app. fert with pre-em and broadleaf weed control for the early weeds.

5. Lawn_Enforcement

So butch you would aerate... then immediately do your pre-em, fert package? then you would eave the plugs im assuming as well?

6. lawnbutch

from Colo.

Leave the plugs!!

I don't do chemical apps. I sub to a good friend who has nearly 15 trucks.

7. Lawn_Enforcement

thanks for the info butch ....
    so the end result im getting is there isnt a certain time period you must wait after you aerate to do any fert or chem apps?

and to leave the plugs to help the soil

8. Lawncop26

You can aerate and fert at same time, with the exception of zoysia where you dont want to fert until it greens up. Lawnbutch summed it up well, the only thing I would do different is not water as much otherwise you'll end up with a muddy mess and ruts that you'll have to come back and fix. The soil dosent have to be saturated to pull good plugs.

9. lawnbutch

from Colo.

Yes if the turf has been watered too much and you try to aerate you WILL have a mess. With the Plugr aerator that we use if it is too wet it will not pull itself along and you will have to push it, not good for you. But we have people tell us, oh I watered each section for 2 hours its soft enough, and I take my soil probe and try to push it down and guess what, dry as a cork, and then I say " needs more water" call me when you get it done. People will lie and then lie some more!! It gets old after awhile, right??

10. Lawncop26

Obviously your talking from experience! Same problem with my accounts, check is in the mail, I left the gate open for you,etc...