1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by GabesLawnCare, Jan 10, 2010.

1. GabesLawnCare

GabesLawnCare LawnSite Member

whats the deal with lawn aeration. I done it before on my own lawn, but I don't understand what it's supposed to do and what times of year it should be done. Also how much do you charge for this service
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

no offense, but have you ever even tried to look it up before joining a professional lco forum. really!!!! i am sorry, but that just dont seem right.

anyways, it is good to do in spring and fall, summer is usually bad due to drought or warm temps will dry out the open ground faster and do more harm then good.

it helps the ground physically breathe better which in turn makes for better roots due to easier water and air movement in the soil. cant go wrong with it. make sure to get as deep as you can in very moist soil, but not saturated in avoidable due to causing more damage to the turf than needed.

also a great time to fert, topdress and overseed with this to invigorate a lawn
  3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

couldnt of said it better myself!! i charge double the mowing price. and if i dont cut the yard, i figure out the mowing price and double it. i think its easier that way.
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we get a decent more than that and still come in cheaper than almost all in our area. i think if you dont have high mowing prices, then raise your aeration
  5. Green Feet Lawn

Green Feet Lawn LawnSite Member

grassman summed it up. Only thing I would add is it also helps alleviate compaction.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

So now we have aeration police, it's the guys first post for heavens sake, how about if you don't want to deal with it him ignore him . BTW study's have shown that aeration can actually increase soil compaction. What do you think happens at the sides and bottom of those tines?
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is true of spike aerators, but I believe pluggers do alleviate compaction. Right now our soils are getting the best compaction relief available. :)
  8. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't used one yet, but the aeravator seems to really break up the soil....anyone else have experience with this machine?
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I tried to find an aeravater as a rental last year but couldn't find one. It looks like they only make tractor models so wouldn't fit well in many of my properties.
    I did like the way it worked the soil in the video though.
  10. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

how do you get your customers to let you aerate the yard?