Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape, Sep 18, 2002.

1. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How many aerations can one person do in one day? The lawns are about 8 to 10 thousand squre feet. Ill be using a ryan 18 inch walk behind.I have about 35 to do and 22 of them for friday is this possibile?? Thanks:confused:
  2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

That sounds a little tough to me. Hopefully they are close together. Anyone helping? I only use a Lesco 26". Marking sprinkler heads and such don't make it a real fast operation. How much are you charging?
  3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Ummmmm.... ouch !

It will be a long hard day. And you will have monkey arms. I used to rent a bluebird 18 inch and could get 13- 5000ft. sq. properties done with aerating, seeding, and fertilizer. They were close together (all within a 2 mile radius). If they are close together and you just aerate you may be able to do near that.....that's over 2 per hour on a 10 hour day man ! Monkey arms for sure ! LOL.

The next 2 days you will be :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

$40 each.......10,000sq. ft. !

Double ouch !!!:eek:
  6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty many to do in one day. You will have to work your tail off. I'm not sure about the area you are in, but you should be able to get more money than that. Here you would pay $60.00 to rent one for the minimum of four hours. You would be doing it for cheaper than the homeowner could do themselves.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I can only say, "there ain't no way I'm going to aerate 10k sf for $40." PERIOD Thats not marketing, that's suicide. Oh, and no 1 person can't do that many with that equipment in 1 day.
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lawnaire V. It is the fastest of the ryans and has the widest coring area, I don't think you are going to be able to do 22 in one day. I'd be looking at 12-15 max.

I suppose if they are just flat and open a guy could MAYBE do it, but every lawn is going to have its little squiggles that are going to cost you time.

I'd be looking at rescheduling some of those, and if people squack simply tell them they are getting a one time kiler deal on the pricing and you will be working hard to get to them asap.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a ryan on a 3 point hitch on a 455 JD tractor - even have an hitch deal that lets me turn when it is in the ground, and it would seem that that many yard in one day would be tough to do. - Just seems like way back before I bought my own aereator that the people that did it charged way more than what you are.

If you are making a living, and that price is OK with you, then go for it, but if you are trying to make a living at it and that is not a profit deal I guess I would think twice.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, you needed the word "know" in your sentence, not "no". Secondly, your advertising hasn't really paid off because you have no idea how many you can do in a day, therefore, how do you know it has been worthwhile. When you find out how long it will take you and how little you will make, it will have been a loss all around. Although, you will have succeeded in bringing the market down like the jerkoff around me doing them for $39 when they should be $100. Consider this a lesson learned. I'm beginning to think that the add-ons we once made money at are going to end up like mowing, where every monkeyspank in town has an aerator and gives that service away also. Anyways, get some rest and comfortable shoes. Consider this your good deed for the year!