Aeration???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ALEX'S LANDSCAPING, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I was at my dealer yesterday and he told me that if I wanted to make easy money before mowing season I could do aeration.
    He told me that it pays really well like $40.00 for a regular lawn (back included in the $40) and I figured that if I could pick up only 10 lawns I could make $400.00/day.
    Some of you guys are prolly thinking but where would you get the aerator?
    A:I would get the aerator at my home depot rental shop.

Just wanting to know your thoughts about this aeration stuff and if it is really worth it?
    Thanks agian for your help!:waving:

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Sure, if you are doing landscaping at some point people are gonna request that their yard be aerated. It is however a little more work on your body then mowing. I think its a good idea for a landscaper to have an aerator, the last thing you want is some other landscaper coming around possibly taking the mowing from you also. And like with any business you need yo be as well rounded as possible to take care of your customers needs.

3. MensingMowingPlus

MensingMowingPlus LawnSite Member

Core aeration greatly improves turf quality by reducing soil compaction, which helps gas exchange in the soil and also makes overseeding easy. Im guessing you are in the south then if you were told to do it in the spring, best time for cool season grass is the fall. Around here it is a must for high end properties and usually rolled into contracts. You want to make a couple of passes in different directions to get the best results, usually I charge around double the cost of a mowing. Normally I seed and fertilize at the same time so that ups the price too.

4. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

If you own a lawn care company and lawn care is one of your main services, you should off core aeration. We highly recommend aeration every year, some companies suggest twice a year.

5. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

BUMP!!! to the top:):)

6. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

I would rethink the price. Here we normally charge 3 times the regular mowing rate. It is hard, tiring work and with a small aerator I don't know if you can do 10 yards a day. We use a small self-propelled one in yards we can't use our Z-Rater on. With the Z-Rater on our Walker and using the small aerator we can do up to 15 yards a day.

7. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

OK, here the gig. There are lots of these companies around that do aeration only in the spring, they are mostly students and run door to door selling the service and providing it on the spot. That's where the real money making is. Although most cities its actually against By-laws to do sales door to door so you will have to be prepared for that or pay the city for their Outdoor Sales permit, which is very expensive and usually only good for about a week.

Loading up your truck and trailer after every lawn is not the way to do it. you need to charge alot more to get the same return. Most people don't see the difference in quality aeration (unless you destroy their lawn) so forget selling that you will do a better job, its all about the price. In this case usually the lowballer does win.

Don't count on home chepo. I tired that one year, is was a waste of my time. First most store don't let you book the machine, so its first come first serve. Second since the machine is out almost everyday being used by inexperience home owners it gets abused and not properly serviced or repair, so there are lots of break downs.

If your serious about it, look into buying one. Its anywhere from 3-10k depending on the model but it will pay for itself quickly if you can get the clients. They are pretty rugged if you treat them right so they should last many years.

Where about are you if you don't mind me asking

8. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That is cheap. Although there are more then a number of issues with that just looking at the specs. That's for another thread.

10. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish it were that easy.