Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nick2765, Mar 6, 2012.

1. nick2765

nick2765 LawnSite Member

When you guys aerate, do you leave the plugs on the ground and let the rain wash them away or do you clean them up on the spot, or go back and clean them up. Whats the proper method? Thanks in advance!

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Leave them, the plugs contain enzymes from in the ground that help to break down thatch also. They desenigrate within a couple weeks
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Nick the only places that pick up plugs are golf courses. Its hard to putt over them. They will break down as stated above and there is benefit to the lawn. If the customer wants them removed I would educate them. Its not worth the effort and time to rake them up and get rid of them.

4. nick2765

nick2765 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply guys, what is the proper order, is it thatch, aerate, overseed?

5. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I would say that's correct
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

aerate, dethatch, overseed.

7. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer dethatch, aerate, overseed.

It's easier to clean up the thatch material without all the plugs on the ground.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I find dethatching/power raking an effective method to break up the majority of the cores.

9. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You left out check for thatch layer to be removed. Over a half inch take it out under it is a judgement call, the closer to half the worse. I have always spread the seed, Aerated then removed the thatch. Doing the ripping action last moves the seed to the low spots and breaks up the cores on top of them. Also raking up the thatch tends to spread the seed and dirt around.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I only aerate in the fall and do the major renovations in the fall... All of my clients have seen the folly of 'dethatching' in the Spring and that practice is dying everywhere in our area... It's not just me... :)