Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by g&MWorkslandscape, Aug 27, 2013.

1. g&MWorkslandscape

g&MWorkslandscape LawnSite Member

When is the best time to aerate?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you are talking about 'plug' aeration, rather than poking holes in the grass with tines...

Generally Fall is a great time for plug aeration,,, but exceptions are sometimes made, depending on your needs... What are you plugging for???

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

9:30-10:00 a.m. - just get it done before lunch :)

This year where I am I would says the ideal time would be from September 10 to October 1.

4. g&MWorkslandscape

g&MWorkslandscape LawnSite Member

To provide penetration for the seed and fertilizer into the soil. Also what can I spray on the bottom of my lawn mowers to kill and fungus that I have cut to reduce the fungus I spread to the other lawns? I heard water and bleach?

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Get your customers on a comprehensive fungus control

6. dan82775

dan82775 LawnSite Member

I am new at this but im wondering if an aerator can serve the purpose of providing an excellent preparation for broadcast/ over-seeding.

I originally planned on power thatching the mulch up, then aerating and using an over seeding machine. The Over seeding machines here at Home Depot dont really work very feel. I am guessing the aerator, if I do cross pattern applications, will make enough legitimate wholes for the seed to burry and maintain soil contact better than the cheap worthless over seeding slit seeder.

Any thoughts here gents?

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct. I always core aerate before i seed

8. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

If you power rake and remove the spoils, then double aerate, I think you could drop the seed and skip the slit-seed machine. Power rake and slit seed machines are pretty similar. Topdressing over your seed will improve results dramatically. Insist on daily watering at a minimum. 2-3 short sets every day would be better. Buy good seed. Good luck.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

3" holes every 4" across the ground doesn't make a good seed bed for grass... roughing up the surface for the seed is what a seeder does...

10. dan82775

dan82775 LawnSite Member

Well where can I get good seed.